Join now - be part of our community!

RX10M4. Just cannot get repeatable focus!

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

RX10M4. Just cannot get repeatable focus!

Had the camera for a couple of months now having down weighted from a Fuji XT-2,  and very disappointed with the results so far. I just cannot get reliable, repeatable focus, sharp images. On all my outings to date if half the images are acceptable I'm lucky. Yesterday I did a garden bird watch so had the camera on a tripod, stabilisation off, used a cable shutter release and still the same, rubbish images. I am really beginning to think the AF has a problem.

I've tried auto everything, shutter priority, aperture priority and am now on manual with settings f5.6, shutter 1/400 and auto ISO.

I noticed on the tripod yesterday that when half pressing the shutter release the green focus indicator sometimes flashed and sometimes didn't, kit just blinks and goes off. Should it stay on if in focus?

I'm used to Canon and Fuji SLR's which have true "spot" focus, not a square that the Sony has.

Thoughts would be appreciated...................

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @cheddarman,

do you "half press" the shutter release button in order for the camera to focus?

From your description it sounds like you press the button full trough right away (so the focus square is there for a split second sometimes).

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Thanks IamNic but I have been using cameras for more than 60 years and certainly know how to operate one, my last two being a Canon 7D2 and a Fuji XT-2 from which I down weighted (I'm beginning to think a mistake!). I find the shutter button on this camera fickle, not very positive which was why I tried the cable release, but with the same results. 

I have copied this to Sony UK/EU to see what they think, it's only a couple of months old after all and possible there is an issue with the shutter release/focusing engagement.

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Sun out so another go at this issue.

Tripod, f5.6, 1/400. ISO AUTO, between 100-200. Steadyshot OFF.

MJD00488.jpgMJD00486.jpgMJD00483.jpgMJD00482.jpgMJD00481.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Target made, now just got to wait for it to STOP B*^+* raining so I can get outside and dlo some tests. Mind you, if it proves the be focusing front or rear there is nothing I can do about it, no "fine tune" as I had on the Canon!

IMG_7254.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

The last picture of the target was taken with my iPhone, and this is the same target 20mts away with camera at 600mm - tripod - cable release - IS OFF. I wonder why it's so blue??? Now what am I doing wrong😱🙄😳

MJD00021.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
cheddarman

Any idea why this very black and white target came out blue???

MJD00021.jpg