Join now - be part of our community!

Watching the ITV Hub

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Watching the ITV Hub

I wonder if anyone might know the answer to my problem please.

Watching a programme on the ITV Hub I find that whatever I do I just cannot get the subtitles to appear.

Now I can watch the same programme on my Tablet and I can get the subtitles with no problems whatsoever.

Is it possible that someone might have an explanation for this please.

My TV is a Sony Bravia KD55A85BU.

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bluenose1940 

While watching a programme on the Hub, press Pause on your remote. 

On the display that appears at the bottom of the screen, there should be an S in a box at the right if subtitles are available for it. 

Move to that box, using the right arrow beside the OK button on the remote.

Press OK to open the subtitles dialogue, and choose the version you want (you usually just get Off and English, but there can be more options).

Press Play ▶️

This is the pretty universal way that you get subtitles on players; the Subtitles setting in the TV Settings menus apply only to programmes played from one of the TV services.

Edit - testing Edit

Still have Edit after subsequent posting.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Well, the functionality very much depends on the app version.

Your TV is using a different app (Android TV) than your Tablet (Android).

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Hello again royabrown2, I hope that you and yours are all well and, thank you for trying to help.

I have just tried your suggestion but I'm afraid that I don't get an 'S' appear anywhere on-screen.  All I get at the bottom after pressing the pause button is a heading 'parental controls'.

Thanks too for the explanation re the subtitles in the TV settings.

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Just had a go at it on All4 and it works but definitely not on the ITVHub.

I thought that I could 'Edit' my previous post but that doesn't seem to be an option.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Testing Edit

Can still edit even after a consecutive posting.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Testing consecutive postings and Edit

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Bluenose1940 

I have not had any trouble editing.

While still logged in, navigate to one of your postings above, and tap/click the pair of cogwheels top right on the posting.

The first option should be ‘Edit Reply’. Tap/click that, and you should see your posting available to edit.

On this iPad, the posting appears in a very narrow window indeed (it didn’t used to) but you can still scroll within that and make the changes you need.

But note that if you edit a post, people who have already read it will not be alerted to the change, and may not realise it is there. So bear this in mind, and assume that edits are for the benefit of those who come later; and make a fresh post if you want to alert those currently active in the thread.

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

Ah yes, got that now.  On other forums that I use. the 'Edit Post' is clearly visible when you go back in.

So, any thoughts as to why ALL4 works but not the Hub

profile.country.GB.title
Bluenose1940
Explorer

I have a Phillips Smart TV in my study and I have got 'Freeview Play' available on it.  I set it all up just now and I can get the subtitles for the ITV Hub perfectly.

I have had a look at getting getting 'Freeview Play' on my Sony but haven't had any luck.  Does anyone know if it is possible to get it and if so, how do I do it please?

Thank you.