Join now - be part of our community!

Sony bravia 32WD75 google play & browser missing

profile.country.NL.title
Rosalou
Explorer

Sony bravia 32WD75 google play & browser missing

Hi, I have the bravia 32WD75 and would like to use an intermetbrowser.

However, there is no google play or similar amongst the icons under ' all apps'. How can i download a browser? Or how can i download/install google play or other appstore? Atm i only have a handful of pre-installed apps of which i use only 1! Please help! 

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Rosalou,

if I am not mistaken, the TV is no Android TV, so why would it have Google Play?

I think the best option for you is to either get a compact computer/RasPi or a Google Chromecast/Amazon Fire TV Stick.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Ordinary roku stick at just under £30 would be best bet (or the 4k one at approx £55 - not for 4k but for voice search and 5ghz wifi) may be best as these have all streaming / catch up apps such as Google play, casting, apple tv, prime, Netflix and all domestic catch up apps like iplayer etc. 

However if its Android you want then will need to get and android tv box

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Tonycv51,

yeah, almost forgot about the Roku - they aren't really a thing here in Germany, but a viable option nevertheless.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

Actually your suggestion is better tbh as just checked and there doesn't seem to be a decent free browser on the roku if browser is the main requirement. If it's video apps then roku has them all in the UK. I missed now tv off the list above

profile.country.NL.title
Rosalou
Explorer

Thank you guys for your advice @IamNic & @Tonycv51,

I know this sounds stupid, but is a 'smart tv' not automatically an android tv? I got this thing about 2 years ago and it was sold to me as an apparatus on which I could surf the entire interwebs without the use of any external device.. But i guess i was misinformed then? So far it has only been used as a monitor for ps4 and occasionally to watch netflix & youtube content (both pre-installed.) I never took the time to figure out how to stream other content, but always assumed it would be possible with a bit of RTFM.

But if it is not the case i think i will go for the chromecast option, or do the other suggestions(compact computer/ RasPi or /Amazon Fire TV Stick.-no idea what they are) have advantages to the Chromecast?

Thanks for any advice and apologies for my ignorance.. 😬

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Rosalou,

no, the smart-functions can run on many different operating systems which can have different features when it comes to the appstore (if there is any).

Some TVs run Android - others run Linux (usually also the backend of certain "custom" OSs), others run Opera-TV...

@Rosalou  schrieb:

it was sold to me as an apparatus on which I could surf the entire interwebs without the use of any external device.. But i guess i was misinformed then

That highly depends - it can be that you were misinformed by the seller/store clerk but it is more likely that the OS provider or the provider for the third pary apps which offered that function have dropped support or that a licencing contract with Sony expired.

@Rosalou  schrieb:

do the other suggestions(compact computer/ RasPi or /Amazon Fire TV Stick.-no idea what they are) have advantages to the Chromecast?

I am not sure if the Chromecast offers a full-fledges internet browser with the same capabilites as the one you have on a computer.

A small computer like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FYYZBV8/ essentially works like your Notebook/Tower - it just doesn't require as much space/power and can be hidden behind your TV. Combine that with a Bluetooth Keyboard+Touchpad combo and you're set.

Maybe someone else knows if the Roku-devices have a proper browser as well.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208756098-can-i-browse-the-internet-on-my-roku-streaming-devi...

And this very up-to-date response indicates, sadly, that the answer is still no.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
Tonycv51
Contributor

It really depends on what you want to do... 

The 32WD75 is great 32" tv (I have one in my motorhome as wanted a 1080p 32" and there's not much choice) but is actually quite an old TV with limited apps. As you say they all appear pre installed and there's no opera browser or opera based apps like there was at one stage with Sony TVs and blu ray players

You also say that you use it with the PS4 - that does have a free browser app you can download in the psplay store, and has most tv streaming apps - so do you need anything more? 

A Chromecast allows you to search for something on your phone and then cast it - but this is typically something like music videos on YouTube or other video streaming apps, but you can do the same with a roku which does come with a remote control whereas a Chromecast doesn't. If you go down that route suggest find some reviews that give you pros and cons eg do you have purchased content or subscriptions in apple, Google or amazon etc that you want to access

PS dont feel bad about it not being an android tv and that you're missing out eg with a Sony android tv you can't directly access the chrome browser in the TV version of the Google play store and it doesnt have all of the catch up / streaming apps