Join now - be part of our community!

Native Video app playback problems on Oreo

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Native Video app playback problems on Oreo

Do we even know that Sony is aware of this issue after Oreo upgrade...

I can't play my favorite 4K movies and videos from external hard drives anymore... 😞

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

Have you got any sound system connected to the TV? Since the update the TV unable to prioritize sound outputs, which can cause issues with video playback ( video app, Netflix, Amazon video, YouTube...)

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

Yes I have connected Logitech Z5500 via optical output and I noticed that when changing sound output from tv speakers to audio system TV crashes...but even after restart when just playing media from usb or ext hdd first it starts to lag and stutter and it becomes unwatchable...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

I have a bunch of 4K HEVC or VP9.2 (YouTube format for HDR) demo videos on my USB 3.0 key and they all play fine. Only the DTS passthrough disappeared (both in Video and Plex). It used to work.

Have you tried changing USB port? Also you may try copying into an USB key a video or two currently not playing  and see if it works. The USB module has never been good on these televisions, maybe in Oreo your USB drive isn't fully supported anymore (or the device driver is now bugged).

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

I have a SONY 64GB USB 3.0 stick and I play h264 and h265 4K videos and they stutter after while...they're working perfectly before Oreo I even have a high bitrate demo video an it was working flawlessly (video from harmonic 4K) that is max quality and bit rate you can find on web and it was working perfectly...

So my point is Sony should fix this as soon as possible!

profile.country.GB.title
Pecadordelapradera
Explorer

Have 55fx8096 never had a problem with audio when playing files from USB with DTS sound on the native video app (red video app)

After update to Oreo All filed with DTS sound "choppy" or don't sound at all. Other audio tracks sound fine

VLC work perfect with those files as did the native video player on Android 7.0

¿They plan to fix it?

Tags (1)
profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

99% sure they'll fix it just when remains to be seen...

profile.country.GB.title
Itom86

Unfortunately, I can confirm all the issues stated above. 

In better cases, my soundbar remain silent once I open a video with DTS. After switching to secondary audio DD, it plays perfectly.

Worst case scenario, I have to restart the TV because the video app crashes, sometimes even Netflix, YouTube too.

Using the TV speaker, DTS videos stutter so badly, it's impossible to watch. Again, switching secondary audio DD, no issues at all. 

It's just a shame, because most of the movies (especially UHD) have DTS as main (english) audio. So you rarely can watch any movie with original audio, but you have to choose secondary language instead.

profile.country.GB.title
zlays84

@Itom86 wrote:

Unfortunately, I can confirm all the issues stated above. 

In better cases, my soundbar remain silent once I open a video with DTS. After switching to secondary audio DD, it plays perfectly.

Worst case scenario, I have to restart the TV because the video app crashes, sometimes even Netflix, YouTube too.

Using the TV speaker, DTS videos stutter so badly, it's impossible to watch. Again, switching secondary audio DD, no issues at all. 

It's just a shame, because most of the movies (especially UHD) have DTS as main (english) audio. So you rarely can watch any movie with original audio, but you have to choose secondary language instead.

Well said brother I wish Sony can confirm this and tell us they're working on a fix...

Exact same problem, any file over 30gb just stutters like mad and sounds issues on some not all files. 70gb files are unwatchable. Pretty poor effort Sony