Join now - be part of our community!

Firmware update v6.0429 - Power Consumption popup

Firmware update v6.0429 - Power Consumption popup

Hi,

Regarding the new firmware for XH9 TV's and the power consumption popup issue, can someone from Sony explain the reasoning as to why this has been implemented in this way?

Yes EU regulations dictate this is a requirement now, however two things regarding that.  Firstly as I am in the UK I don't see why this should apply (that was after what the stupidity of Brexit was all about wasn't it?).

Secondly, nowhere in the regulations does it state that literally every time we go near any picture settings the popup has to come up every single time and that is has to be acknowledged.  

Seriously Sony what are you playing at?  Are you actively trying to lose customers with the way you are doing things.  If it needs to be there fine, add a popup for a couple of seconds and then have it disappear automatically. 

Thank you,

One seriously annoyed Sony customer.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback - I'll forward it to the engineers.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
AmigaBits
Explorer

Hi Peter,

Have you had any response from the engineers?

I'm a software developer and remember there was a lot of misinterpretation of GDPR when that was  introduced. I'd be interested in seeing the EU regulatory text regarding power consumption, I suspect it's a similar case of misinterpreting the guidance.

I agree it's reasonable to display the Power Consumption confirmation banner the first time Picture mode or Brightness are changed, and fulfils EU regulation.

Right now, when selecting Picture mode and Brightness in Quick Settings, the following message is displayed above the option...

'Confirmation screen for power consumption is shown when this item is changed'

After the user has OK'd the Power Consumption confirmation banner, just change the above message to something like...

'Changing this setting may increase power consumption more than the normal configuration'

This'll act as a regular nonintrusive reminder. I purchased the Sony AG9 shortly after release in part because of the new Quick Settings mode. It was much easier to use compared to my older Sony TV as I'm constantly adjusting Picture mode and Brightness. Since this update, it really is intolerable.

Thanks,

Darren

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi guys, I don't have the exact text, however, after searching a bit i found out that the UK laws also supports this as for the EU.