Join now - be part of our community!

Anyone manage problem free recording to HDD via USB?

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

Anyone manage problem free recording to HDD via USB?

I’ve found several threads on here from people who have (like us) had problems with recording. Sony support have been very unhelpful (stock reply to check updated software) and advice about which programmes cannot be recorded. I contacted the supplier of our twin tuner KD43xh8505bu -they replied that recording via USB is notoriously temperamental on all TVs but that getting an external HDD that is compatible is critical - and that when such a HDD is used then recording can be flawless. I’m very interested to learn if anyone has achieved success and if so with which HDD. I can’t find this on any Sony support article. Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MaryKin 

Oh, I agree that Sony should make recording to HDD as seamless as possible, especially on the high-end sets with twin tuners.

But until Sony market a dedicated, known-to-work HDD add-on for their sets, it will never be as good as a dedicated PVR, with its carefully selected, exhaustively tested, and quite possibly tweaked-for HDD. And maybe not even then. 

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

As per rogerpbill's reply the information in here doesn't relate to the specific problems that have been raised in relation to recording to HDD

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi, adding for what you're discussing, if you decided to use an HDD, you can check this link: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xf7596/artic...

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Many thanks HannahEd01 for joining here and the other thread "Various HDD recording problems". Unfortunately the link: www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xf7596/articles/0014...  is broken.

The most recent link I've found is: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00148248 but 2017 are the most recent Sony TVs to which this list applies.

I've tried a few different USB disc drives but the ones we use are Samsung T5 1TB USB 3.1 Gen 2 SSDs. These high spec SSDs don't require a separate power source and the read/write performance exceed any physical HDD. I doubt the make and model of HDD could be that critical and if it were I'd expect Sony would specify limits on read/write speeds, etc. USB disc drives are designed and manufactured to standards that are supported and are compatible with many, many computers, operating systems software and other equipment such as TVs, cars, phones, music equipment, etc.

Since updating the Sony software to the latest version released in December there's no longer any problem with the quality of the recordings made. Therefore, I don't think there is an HDD compatibility problem. The problems I get with HDD recordings include:

1. TV often has to be reset to show previously recorded programmes and timer list. This seems to occur after setting a programme to record then deleting or modifying the timer.
  2. Programs starting at the same time as a previous recorded programme ends aren't recorded.
  3. Recorded programmes are often labelled with details of the preceding programme.

I think these symptoms suggest a problem with the way the Sony software handles the UK Freeview EPG data. Perhaps a PVR like the Manhattan T3-R being a UK design might work better with our TV networks' EPG foibles which might not be a priority for manufacturers in other countries. However, I don't feel inclined to spend another c£200 especially as my 2008 Panasonic recorder doesn't suffer any of these problems.

Sorry for rambling on at length but I thought it worth drawing together the key points in the hope of a resolution to these problems.

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

I keep getting messages from Sony asking me to accept a solution to the problem I originally posted and relating to rogerpbill's post on Various Problems with HDD recordings.

My update is that our decision to buy another PVR has so far been a good one. It was difficult to decide which one, as different 'experts' recommended the Humax, Panasonic and Manhattan boxes. We went with the Manhattan and it was very easy to set up, very intuitive in use and really does what a recorder needs to do. The picture quality via the Manhattan is almost but not quite as good as when watching the TV itself. There may be some concern about long term reliability of the Manhattan but we were able to get a (refundable if not used) extended 6 year warranty on ours.

So this is my 'accepted solution' to the problem of HDD recording problems with the Sony Bravia!

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, I understand that you already decided to use another method, just wanted to highlight that there are many updates has been released today addressing some common issues, like this one: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lcd-tvs-android-xh95xx_x95xxh-series-49-85-/kd-49xh9505/d.... So far I see no mention of this particular issue, however, it might help. And apologies about the broken link, I wasn't wearing my eyeglasses :grin: