Join now - be part of our community!

Anyone manage problem free recording to HDD via USB?

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

Anyone manage problem free recording to HDD via USB?

I’ve found several threads on here from people who have (like us) had problems with recording. Sony support have been very unhelpful (stock reply to check updated software) and advice about which programmes cannot be recorded. I contacted the supplier of our twin tuner KD43xh8505bu -they replied that recording via USB is notoriously temperamental on all TVs but that getting an external HDD that is compatible is critical - and that when such a HDD is used then recording can be flawless. I’m very interested to learn if anyone has achieved success and if so with which HDD. I can’t find this on any Sony support article. Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@MaryKin 

Start here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00148248

Bang up to date (29/12/2020), and with lots of further links to relevant articles.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Hi Marykin, It's good to see that Sony are updating and enhancing their online documentation. However, I couldn't find anything relevant to the HDD recording problems we've discussed in https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/various-hdd-recording-problems/td-p/3747868/highlight/fal... for example:
- TV often has to be reset to show previously recorded programmes and timer list.
- Programmes starting at the same time as a previously recorded programme ends aren't recorded and some others aren't recorded for no apparent reason.
- Recorded programmes are often labelled with details of the preceding programme.

Just wondered if you'd found something to help with these issues? I'm still undecided on whether to persevere with the limitations of the TV's HDD recording or splash out £200 or more on a PVR like the Manhattan T3-R or Humax Aura

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rogerpbill 

Your most economical option is to pick up a secondhand YouView box, a DTR-T2xxx or a DTR-4000, from eBay or Amazon. You will find the YouView on it is a rather different, and much more capable, beast than the cut-down shadow of YouView implemented on these Android TVs.

Avoid T1xxx and other designations; these are much cheaper because they are compromised in various ways.

I hear good reports of the Manhattan, but I suggest you read up on reviews of the Humax Aura before contemplating one; the general consensus is that it has been released too early, and you will become an unpaid beta tester if you keep it.

Disclaimer: I have no practical experience of either make, but I do not plan to revisit them until they have a stable remote recording app.

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Thanks Royabrown2, that's very useful, especially your comments on the Humax Aura. YouView is good but as far as I'm aware you can't skip advert breaks in commercial channel programmes? If so, I think I'd prefer the Manhattan. Also I guess the Manhattan being a UK design it'd take account of our TV networks' EPG foibles which might not be a priority for manufacturers in other countries. I've discounted the more affordable Humax FVP-5000T because some reviews I've read say the user interface is frustratingly slow. But I'm still undecided because in addition to the cost of the Manhattan I'm reluctant to risk another load of hassle after having dealt with our two new Sony TVs. Also I still hope Sony might fix the HDD recording problems even though some like https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/other-tvs/wrong-title-on-hdd-timer-recordings/m-p/223838#M5018 have apparently existed since 2011

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rogerpbill 

You can skip ad breaks on recordings of commercial channels on the YouView boxes.

I’d be very surprised if you could skip ad breaks on catch-up on the Manhattan; but if you can that would be very useful. Can you point me to a reference?

YouView boxes are very much a UK design, even if the hardware is made in Korea. But Samsungs are too; and I don’t know if you have found any foibles in how your Japanese Sony TV handles our UK EPGs?

profile.country.GB.title
rogerpbill

Hi again Royabrown2, Sorry for any confusion but I'm thinking of using a PVR like the Manhattan to record programmes rather than for catch up. I didn't realise you could skip adverts on any YouView devices. However, unless I've missed something else catch up services like YouView don't cover all broadcast programmes (eg some films due to royalty payments) and some programmes become unavailable after a certain period of time. On my old Panasonic recorder I've saved some programmes from a few years ago and copied some onto DVD for even longer term storage. Unfortunately I understand copying HD programmes isn't allowed so for SD programmes I'm hoping my Panasonic will keep going for another few years.

Sorry all, for taking this discussion off-topic.

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

Hi Rogerpbill

I have the feeling that you and I share the ‘determination to get to the solution’ gene - I’m a bit like a dog with a bone when it comes to getting to the root of a tech problem whenever I can. I suspect also however that we will both end up accepting that there is no practical alternative but to buy another PVR - my OH has already reached that conclusion. My biggest frustration is that the Sony twin tuner TVs are marketed with 'recording to HDD via USB’’ as a selling point - any website reviews I’ve seen just seem to quote that and accept it as read, and none of the tech reviewers are actually putting them through any real-life testing. I don’t think that Sony is the only manufacturer that customers have problems with There are more forums related to Samsung TVs and recording issues - my impression is that they have fixed more of the problems and recording functions are better than Sonys but still not without some of the same sorts of problems we have found. (Interesting there’s a forum where someone complained and got a refund for a 50 week old Samsung because it didn’t do what it was advertised to do).

Ah well I think this probably goes into the ‘learn by your mistakes’ category in life.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@rogerpbill 

If a £50 HDD would make recording off a TV easy, there wouldn’t be many PVRs for sale. And for me, the whole idea of recording is that if I’m there, it doesn’t impact me watching something else, and if I’m away, I want to set it remotely.

As regards what you can get, and record, on a PVR, there is nothing you could record on a TV that you couldn’t record on a PVR; and anything on Freeview you can record, SD or HD, no charge, and keep as long as you like.

Catchup on PVRs is no different from catch-up on TVS, or Sticks; same sorts of rules. The main thing with a PVR is that you can record something, regardless of whether it is going to be on catch-up or not, keep it as long as you like without worrying about catch-up expires, and skip the adverts when you watch it.

profile.country.GB.title
MaryKin

Why make a TV with twin tuners then? Can’t watch two channels at the same time (though my OH does have a fair stab at that). The extra cost of second tuner + cost of HDD is similar to cost of PVR?

Sent from my iPhone