Join now - be part of our community!

How can video be uploaded from A99 to Mac

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

How can video be uploaded from A99 to Mac

Please accept my ignorance. I took my first recorded video clip last night at a gig. I can view the footage on the camera but I am puzzled why I can't seem to upload it to my Mac.I shot the footage in AVCHD 50i FH. Is there any special software I need to install? I guess I could also have recorded it in too high a quality to be uploaded to YouTube.

I can't understand why I can't see the movie file on the card from my computer. No problems viewing pictures now!  

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mischof67,

As far as I can tell from the Apple support site it's only iOS X Mountain lion that supports AVCHD files..

I'm not a Mac user so hopefully a Mac user may have a better solution but for now you could download a file converter & convert the file to something that your OS supports, here is a link to a how to - How to Play and Convert AVCHD/MTS Video Files on Mac OS X a search on goole may provide other alternative apps that you could use..:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Thanks, I upgraded to Mountain Lion the other week so that I could view Sony ARW files from my A99 in i-photo. When I link the camera to the laptop, I can't find the video clip on the card nor does it down load. The ARW files can be downloaded.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I have found the video clips on the card under the Quicktime logo titled 'Private'. They are not uploading automatically. I've copied the folder containing the three clips to my desktop, they can't be dragged over individually. The clips play fine individually when the whole folder is copied, but I can't seem to be able to upload the files individually to Facebook. It looks like it's all or nothing. I must be doing something wrong. Or am I?

Bieomax

i'm not really into video, (and i'm open to correction on this) but if you think of the video you have as a RAW video, you'll need something to convert (encode?) into a more usable format like with your raw photo's you convert them into jpeg and the like

So you'll need to look for some video software which can convert/encode from the AVCHD format to another format like .MOV / .AVI or which ever format you need.

i googled       AVCHD video converter MAC

and it came back with a number of converters, so have a check of them and see if any will do what you need.

Hope that helps

Mark.

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Thanks for your comments Bieomax, I hope someone from Sony will be able to provide an answer. I don't see why  another piece of software should need to be downloaded.  

profile.country.GB.title
Pascale_F

Hi mischof67,

This sounds like a frustrating issue!

It looks like you require some feedback from Sony about this, so the best thing to do would be to contact Sony Support and they'll be able to assist you further.

Many thanks,

Pascale_F

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

'Well slap my thigh and call me Charlie'.

Today I had an automatic message inviting me to add an update to i-photo to allow it to integrate with Aperture. I allowed the update. Imagine my surprise when I conencted the A99 to upload some pictures and it allowed the video clips I have recorded to go into i-photo and therefore allow them to be transferred to Facebook etc.

My i-photo is showing version 9.4.3 (720.91). Hope this helps anyone in the same situation in the future.