Join now - be part of our community!

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

Got a brand new XZ3 a few months ago, updated to Android 10 and since then I noticed  since security update on Android 10 Build No. 52.1.A.3.74, I was unable to switch Hey Google voice match back on - it seemed to turn itself off?

Factory reset, cache/data clear, uninstall updates on Google app and software repaired the phone but it just says 'Something went wrong. Try again.' when I try to turn on Hey Google.
thread-68560551-10175818439589214593.jpeg

Since then, Sony support have just sent me running in circles with resent troubleshoot email templates telling me to factory reset again.

Loads of other XZ3 and XZ2 users mentioned the issue here, is anyone else having it and have you had any luck talking to Sony or Google about it?

Google support thread where people are discussing:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Reddit post by me

93 REPLIES 93
profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Is there an actual release date for this update? Been chasing this for so long now...

profile.country.GB.title
splash_cn
Explorer

Hi, 

I am replying to this post to let you know that I have filed support ticket to SONY myself too.

Unable to use hotword (ok google/ hey google) to activate Assistant app for a while, and thanks to your post I realize it might be from the August 2020 update from SONY. 

I understand nudging SONY instead of you is a better way, but I wish to lay it out here clear,

XZ2 compact needs fixing too.

I am a US user and this post on SONY UK forum is by far most comprehensive when it comes to the matter. I'm sure the fix will be fine for users across regions.

Have been a loyal SONY compact phone user for many years and things weren't going very well, and for every reason except the hardware itself. They do make nice phones and yet a lot of problems with everything else.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

We continue to wait and see

profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

This issue will be resolved only if there is a software release for it as it happened after an update in the first place, I don't know what's taking them so long to release it tbh.

profile.country.GB.title
splash_cn
Explorer

Back then I didn't know XZ3 has this issue, and I assumed that the issue unfortunately happened right after they pushed out last planned security update (2020 AUG) before end of support for my device XZ2 compact. 

Since by OP's words SONY did respond to his tickets, I hope they will keep their words and release the patch update.

Any suggestion of mitigation through software settings is unconstructive at this point.  We specifically want voice activation fixed because we need it to work...

I make a lot of work related decisions while driving and being able to ask my phone to do things without moving my hands or better still looking at phone screen is a huge deal. I'm pretty sure you hate people driving and playing with their phones on the road.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Given the fact that OK google doesn't react on your phone, there is another option.

I'm using MacroDroid. Tasker and there are other apps that act alike.

MacroDroid activates Bluetooth while driving.

Macrodroid takes notes when I pick up the phone and shake it. To be shure it will take the note Macrodroid reacts to shaking by vibrating so I know the macro did start.

These are 2 simple examples.

You can perform any action you like and it brings you right on the spot.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Has anyone received the software update yet?

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Very strange phone behavior late yesterday and this morning.  Several apps keep stopping unexpectedly, including Google.  Something in the system has been changed.

profile.country.GB.title
aztazman
Explorer

I read an article yesterday describing that exact issue. The solution is to uninstall Android System WebView. Google has pulled it from the Play Store until a fix is provided.

profile.country.GB.title
splash_cn
Explorer

it doesn't work.

I appreciate your gesture but what we need is either a definitive message from SONY and/or its delegates, or actual experience like "I tried this and it works, here's a screenshot or debug log"