Join now - be part of our community!

xperia zx1 compact unable to connect to free WiFi

profile.country.GB.title
eurocarper
Explorer

xperia zx1 compact unable to connect to free WiFi

I have two phones . . . a Nokia 7.2 (Android 10) on a BT contract and a Sony Xperia zx1 (Android 9) on EE PAYG which are set up to mirror each other.  The Nokia connects to free WiFi everywhere I go with no issues, however the zx1 connects to free WiFi everywhere apart from one pub which has free Sky Cloud WiFi.  The zx1 connects to free Sky Cloud WiFi in all other places other than this single pub where it looks like it's connected but states that the phone is offline when I attempt to use the free Sky Cloud WiFi.  I can connect to the free WiFi in the takeaway next door to this pub (which is a poor signal)  but not the free Sky Cloud WiFi.  The other customers in the pub don't have any issues connecting to the free Sky Cloud WiFi, and my Nokia connects fine.

This has puzzled me for months . . . any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
EMS_MO72
Community Team

So your Xperia XZ1 connects to all the wi-Fi networks fine, only one that you can not connect to ?

profile.country.GB.title
eurocarper
Explorer

The zx1 compact connects either automatically or manually to Sky Cloud WiFi in every venue that I visit apart from my local pub.  Therefore, the mystery is why the zx1 won't connect to Sky Cloud WiFi in just my local pub, whereas all the Android phones belonging to my mates (and my Nokia) connect without any issues!  The landlady has even restarted the WiFi hub for me several times without any impact . . . the zx1 compact appears to connect to the WiFi, but when I attempt to access my email or the browser it states that I'm offline (despite not being offline).

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Have a look at settings.

Maybe it's set not to connect to unsafe public networks.

profile.country.GB.title
eurocarper
Explorer

I've' just checked . . . it's set to connect to unsafe networks, and it connects to the freely available Sky Cloud WiFi in all pubs other than my local for some reason!

Piscie
Community Team

Try to reset your phone's network settings by tapping on settings - System - Advanced - Reset options - Reset network settings .

profile.country.GB.title
eurocarper
Explorer

Tried that . . . hasn't made any difference.  The mystery continues!

Looks like I'll have to take my larger Nokia to my local, and use the xperia zx1 compact elsewhere on my travels.

Thanks for your suggestions.