Join now - be part of our community!

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Sony WH-1000XM3 - v4.1.1 firmware failure?

Having updated my 1000xm3's over the wekeend, there seems to be an introduction of hiss and a background noise of what sounds like distant traffic (even though I can hear nothing at all without the headphones on) when using Active Noise Cancellation, which was previously stellar. The potency of the noise cancelling is noticeably weaker since updating (I'd estimate around 40% less). Familiar auditory environments which were previously rendered almost entirely silent are now notedly audible. I've checked that the noise cancelling slider is left-most, and indeed it is.

I'm also disappointed to find I can't ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, and I press the button and just say "Play Metallica", it responds with "Shuffling music by Metallica on Amazon Music", yet nothing plays at all.

This update is very much a downgrade as it stands.

422 REPLIES 422
profile.country.SE.title
NiklasSv
Explorer

Got mine just the other day, was really looking forward to these cans that's got raving reviews all over the internet.  They are told to beat Bose QC35 by a margin.  My first try with the cans impressed me, then I did as prompted and upgraded the firmware.

Now they aren't even close to matching the qc35 noice cancelling capabilities.

And also they are hardly possible to use during a call, the people I'm talking to are going nuts over all the noise this headset is catching from my surroundings.

I'm not a happy customer right now, not at all actually.

I'm postin this thread as a tip to engadget and Gizmodo now.

profile.country.SE.title
lsfxzz
New

I've recently bought a pair of WI-1000X and was surprised by how little the ANC actually seemed to work, even when I ensured proper seal/fit in the ears. So I wonder if those might also be affected by the firmware issue (as they have also received the 4.1.1 update), or if the insufficient NC is actually all they can do?

(I can easily hear collegues talking and typing in the office, something which I had assumed should be significantly reduced)

I'll additionally contact Sony directly about it, although it seems like direct customer service contact has not been of much use after reading this thread.

profile.country.SE.title
Haraldboye
Explorer

Bought my xm3 recently, returned them today to the store and bought another pair (not updated) with the old firmware. What a diffrence. Keeping these..:metal: :upside_down:

profile.country.GB.title
Bigmick777

The store I've got has a policy about return of headphones. I'm not happy
with sending them to Sony repair as I'd expect them to find no problems!
profile.country.FI.title
ynosyhw
New

@lsfxzz wrote:

I've recently bought a pair of WI-1000X and was surprised by how little the ANC actually seemed to work, even when I ensured proper seal/fit in the ears. So I wonder if those might also be affected by the firmware issue (as they have also received the 4.1.1 update), or if the insufficient NC is actually all they can do?

(I can easily hear collegues talking and typing in the office, something which I had assumed should be significantly reduced)

According to Sony's pages the WI-1000X received the same 4.1.1 firmware update as XM2 (and XM3). So, I'd bet on firmware causing issues. 

My XM3's were ruined by that firmware update. I could also hear colleagues chatting and typing metres away. To hear the typing so loudly was very annoying. At a flight I was listening to music and heard the stewardess speaking ~8 metres away with someone. 

On my unit it sounded as if the microphone just amplified those noises (and yes, noise cancellation was set to maximum). My old 1st generation B&O H6 are very nice in the office as they block all noise to a good level.

Congrats to all those whose XM3's did not suffer at all with the 4.1.1 update but mine were ruined (luckily was able to return for a refund) and I believe those who are saying they have issues with reduced noise cancellation and battery performance. Maybe the firmware update affects only a certain manufacturing batch. 

profile.country.SE.title
NiklasSv
Explorer

I've been in contact with the swedish support now, and they are unable to acknowledge that this is a bug in their software.

It's the same old arrogant sony that made me stop buying sonys products some years ago.  I really hope that they take this issue serious and fix it.  I mean this is one fo their flagship product, they should be smart enough to fix this ASAP, how would someone dare to invest in their products when they break them via software updates and fail to acknowledge their wrongdoing.  

I was told to do a factory reset to "stabilize the firmware", and then to fiddle around with the  NC-settings, wich according to sonys technicians "should be able to solve the problem".   Such a  bad response that only made me laugh.

profile.country.US.title
fpcatcherdad

I'll start by saying that I'm no audiophile.  I recently purchased two WH-1000XM3's (for my wife and I) and was quick to upgrade both of them to the new firmware 4.1.1.  I came across this thread and started to question if I should've wait before upgrading firmware.  So, here is what I did...  I returned one of them, and got a new pair, in order to do a side-by-side test with 4.1.1 and 2.0.0 firmware versions.

I performed a non-scientific test as follows:  I turned on the kitchen exhaust and did a non-blinded test of the headphones standing at about 6 ft from the noise source.  Both of them did a pretty great job at cancelling noise.  I did noticed that 4.1.1 had a mildly detectable noise level (especially lower frequencies), while 2.0.0 was able to cancel virtually all the noise.  For both of them, you are still able to hear higher frequencies (very muted though).

Then, I did a blind test (covered my eyes and had someone behind me putting the headphones in place).  In all cases I was able to determine which one was 2.0.0 vs 4.1.1.  Meaning, that there was certainly a detectable difference.  

It is certainly not a 40% decrease in performance, like others are claiming, but there is a slightly (almost imperceptible) difference.  The reality is that, at least for me, it is not a deal breaker.  And although I'm not going to update 2.0.0's firmware until this issue is fixed, I'm keeping 4.1.1 as is.

Later on, I will try to do a more scientific test.

Hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
Vannglorious
Explorer

I've been in touch with Sony recently and after quite a lot of emails and having them investigating this issue I got the final answer as follows:

'Thank you for your patience.

In reference to your enquiry about your Sony headphone, we can confirm that the effect of noise canceling feature hasn’t differ since the latest software update.

However, kindly follow the below to ensure that the feature has been activated properly:

headphones connect app:

1-Adaptive sound control: OFF

2-Ambient sound control: ON

3-In the Ambient sound control settings, set Ambient sound level to minimum

(= Noise cancelling).

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

profile.country.SE.title
Haraldboye
Explorer

I experienced less of a difference with low frequencies (like an exhaust..) after the FW-upgrade but significant with higher frequencies, Like my 7year old daughter. Just the feeling of that made me feel dirty wearing my XM3 :tongue_winking:

Returned them and got a pair with the old firmware..

profile.country.GB.title
GapsOfTheGod

Really great to hear some more feedback. I would suggest, however, that it's the higher frequencies (previously suppressed well) that are now more audible and in my estimation it's the range of frequency suppression which equates to a 40% reduction in Noise Cancelling efficacy over all.

In addition to this, the introduction of white noise and a reduction in battery life, I'm seriously unimpressed with the XM3's as a premium, market leading pair of NC cans.