Join now - be part of our community!

Problems with CD writer

rich6
Visitor

Problems with CD writer

Having 'fun' with Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4.05, which was bundled with my PCV-LX1.

I have moved into the coaster production business with a vengeance since this software decided not to 'close' sessions after copying files. The read, write and copy processes run as normal until the session should 'close'. Then the software (not the machine) hangs at 99%, forever. The resulting CD-Rs show zero space and zero data.

Since the software doesn't work, I attempted to uninstall it, only to find that Installshield cannot locate the installation file (ecdc.ins). As only a madman would load new CD burning sotware over old, my new Nero package sits unused while I attempt to work out how to get ECDC off my machine.

This is not helped by Vaiolink Support, who flatly deny that Sony ever supplied Easy CD in the first place, in spite of the fact that (a) I didn't install it, and (b) it is detailed profusely in page 11 of the pdf file which came on my PC, known as 'About the software on your Vaio desktop'. This does not inspire confidence.

Of course, my drive might be faulty (although various utilities report it be running normally).

Any thoughts ?[size=18]

4 REPLIES 4
EzDoezIt
Visitor

You will find relevant information about Easy CD Creator in the Think Tank of the VAIO Village.

VAIOneer
Visitor

Personally i'd go with Nero

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

The best way to remove Easy CD Creator is probably to reinstall it then (I know it sounds perverse) uninstall

Regards, Rob

rich6
Visitor

Thanks Rob, Jaan and EZDoezIt.

The info in the Think Tank looks useful - I will try the manual uninstall route. The reinstall idea looks interesting, but Sony thoughtfully didn't provide a recovery copy in the Recovery CD set.

Meanwhile, the eSupport team are 'looking into the problem', and have promised to get back to me soon.

For anyone else poleaxed by this issue, there is an excellent discussion board on ECDC at

www.roxio.com

The link is

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/roxio_support/discussions/index.jhtml;jsessionid=WQKRBIFOFMDT5LAQAMG...

Some posters on that board have seen this problem many times before, and there is some well-informed advice available.

You need to register (for free).

Thanks again