Join now - be part of our community!

One Dead Desktop

stevep-4
Visitor

One Dead Desktop

:cry: My RX-405 has died.
History.
Thursday put machine into "standby" while I popped out. (!st time to use standby in XP)
machine would not restart by keyboard astivation.
Restarted computer by full power off/on.
Since then, computer would stop and reboot whenever it felt like it.
Saturday, XP would not load fully. only 3 icons completed (IE6, Outlook). Managed to save e-mails to Memory stick.
Performed system recovery using Vaio disks.
Sunday. Computer continued to stop at will.
Tried performing system recovery again......"Check Sum Error in F:\\SONY.IMG
I have tried also using the E drive (DVD) with same effect.
Repeated attempts either give this message, or "Incompatible Image in use"

SO, what are my options?? John Lewis have given up, but suggest that I call Sony to get a new set of Disks. But from reading messages on here, sony don't give out new disks, EVER !!

I am not a happy bunny......2 weeks hard work on the D drive (partition of C), and I fly in the morning !!!

11 REPLIES 11
stevep-4
Visitor

I was running the standard 256mb of memory plus an additional 512mb DDR-ram (infineon chips, PC2700 - no information in the Sony manual or website whether PC2100 or PC2700)). I did try removing the 512mb set and tried again with no luck.
In addition, i physically removed any ancillary equipment (printer, webcam, USB mouse etc), taking the computer back to "as bought" configuration.

I have no other computers available which run XP, so cannot even consider popping the hard drive out (thanks for the NTFS info). Therefore the computer will remain as it is (upside down with its little feet in the air) until I return to the UK and Sony can make arrangements to pick it up. Hopefully they will find a motherboard or bios error and the hard drive can be reclaimed (I have managed to catch up on the lost work, but its the principle !!!).

As a future precaution, I will be buying an additional hard drive for back up purposes. since I deliberately keep all my files in dedicated folders in the D:\\ partition (and regularly burn each folder to CD as a "back up"). It should be no problem to back up the info straight to ther new "E drive" just incase of future problems.

Or would you guys recommend a tape backup?? (we are only talking about 3gb total)

chuckalicious
Visitor

I wouldn't count on Sony saving your hard drive. I know most companies reinstall the hard drive when they fix a machine, whether there is a fault or not, so back up.
I wouldn't bother with a tape backup, too expensive. Seeing as the 405 has a DVD writer, use one of these, it should only take about 40 mins to back that amount up.
Using a second hard drive as a backup is an idea, but I have seen many "backup" drives go t*ts-up too.
I think you have been unlucky though, PC's don't go wrong "that" much, so if you are careful, you should be okay.