Join now - be part of our community!

Memory upgrade on RX511 fails

Grohni
Visitor

Memory upgrade on RX511 fails

Hi, tried to upgrade the RX511 from 256MB PC2100 to 1024MB PC2100 using 2 Infineon
Memory Banks from PCWorld. One on its own works fine.
Two crash continously - i.e. machine reboots with. If it gets passed Windows XP log-on screen before crashing it tells me some cryptic error message about explorer encountering a serious error and that system needs to shut down - which it subsequently does.

Have swapped the two banks in place... no joy.

Any idea? According to Sony and ASUS specs, the A7N266 VX motherboard can handle to 512MB banks. My system won't.

I'm not experienced with XP. Do I need to tell the guys in Richmont that I've upgraded? Is the BIOS maybe dated?

Comments plse.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Try each of the memory sticks by themselves. It sounds as though one of them may be faulty.

Windows XP doesn't require any modifications to run with 1Gb of memory.

Run a memory test on each of the memory cards. Do a search on google for 'memory test program' and pick a one that suits you.

Grohni
Visitor

that is exactly what I did and I even brought on memory bank back to the vendor but I have tested them individually and the machine runs fine. As soon as they are on the motherboard together, the system gives up...

kee-lo_

Are they all the same spec?
Maybe they're causing conflict.

robpaxton
Explorer

It could be a fault with one of the sockets on the motherboard - try them individually in each slot and see what happens.

kee-lo_

True, swap 'em around.

Grohni
Visitor

yep... it probably is a f"ed up motherboard... have done all the swapping around.... both happy in the first slot by themselves.

mem is same spec. both Infineon 512 PC2100

robpaxton
Explorer

Hope you're still under warranty - good luck

kee-lo_

Yep, get it changed.