Join now - be part of our community!

cisvc.exe WHAT IS IT???

jonmix
Visitor

cisvc.exe WHAT IS IT???

My VAIO RX406 is only 3 months old and is starting to behave very erratically.

I only use it a little, mainly for web surfing, email, WORD, and a little music.

Just lately things like WORD and Internet Explorer have really slowed up or simply jammed up ie crashed.

I have kept up to date with Microsoft XP service packs and critical updates.

Often when things slow up or crash, and I use control-alt-delete to look at windows task manager, it tells me that CPU usage is at 100 per cent!

One of the processes being run all the time is cisvc.exe, and it takes up to half of the CPU processing power. Anyone know what it is? Is this the cause of my problem?
If so what do I do - if not anyone any ideas how I can find out what is causing my problems?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_
jonmix
Visitor

i'm pretty new to all this....

I can't see on the site you gave me the link for, how exactly to disable cisvc - just a description of what it does.

If indeed this is the cause of my problems, I am very grateful!

robpaxton
Explorer

To turn off Indexing service;

Select "Start", "Control Panel",
Switch to Classic View if you need to,
Select "Administrative Tools" and "Services" to start the "Services" applet.
Scroll down to the "Indexing Serivice" service, select the line and right click. Select "Stop" from the menu to stop the service immediately.
Once it stops, right-click again and select "Properties". Click on "Startup type" and change it to "Disabled".

Click OK to save your changes.

Regards, Rob

VAIOneer
Visitor

The only drawback to disabling indexing is slower file search times - but for the overall performance increase... well worth switching it off

kee-lo_

Yep true Jaan, but its not worth the hassle anyway, its not often someone searches for files anyway.