Join now - be part of our community!

Addition of 2nd Hard Drive to PCV RX202

fairdinkum
Visitor

Addition of 2nd Hard Drive to PCV RX202

I have an PCV RX202 Desktop PC and would like to add a 2nd hard drive for video editing. I assume that there is no space in the PC's casing for a 2nd hard drive. If this is the case can you help with advice as to what type of external hard drive I should look to add please. I intend to add a drive with at least 60Gbytes.

Thanks,

Des.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I suggest a Maxtor Personal Storage drive that hooks up to the firewire port, there are some 7200RPM drives that support upto 160GB.

Ling
Visitor

Or you could try one of Lacie's external firewire drives - also nice and speedy and they go up to ridiculous sizes like 500gb, and look nice too :slight_smile:

kee-lo_

Yep, LaCiE are nice, but expensive.
I got one of their D2 FireWire cdrw drives, very nice.

robpaxton
Explorer

Hi Des,

Have you opened the case to see if there is space for a second drive? Most desktop computers have ample space inside to mount at least two HD's.

Regards, Rob

Ling
Visitor

Yeah if this is the case then you would be better off with an internal drive (cheaper, faster) unless you wanted to carry your files around with you.

chuckalicious
Visitor

You should be fine with an internal drive, the only thing you may need to check is whether yo uneed a 5.25" to 3.5 " bay caddy. I was in the process of fitting an new one into my RX405 until my second PC died and I had to use that one for the second PC. You should be fine. Just remember the whole Master/Slave setup!

aaronjb
Visitor

Just remember the whole Master/Slave setup!

Has anyone else noticed how many modern machines are coming set up for cable select on the IDE chains, rather than specifying Master/Slave, or is it just me? All the new HP/Compaq machines we've had here recently are like that (which catches me out every time, wondering why it all stops working when I set the second drive to Slave.. Guess I'm just stuck in my ways!)..

(Sorry, not trying to make adding a second drive sound complicated btw - it's really not, like everyone says :smileyhappy:)

kee-lo_

Yeah why the hell can't they set them to the correct setting ?

Stephanius
Visitor

Just a wild guess, but could it be due to the fact that they allow customisation of the models, and want to keep assembly as easy as possible. :wink:
Oh, one thing here, dont mix optical drives and hard disk drives on one controller, unless you prefer your HDD really slow :!: