Join now - be part of our community!

Trouble with home network DLNA

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cob20Cob20
Visitor

Trouble with home network DLNA

Hi.

I have recently bought an Iomega Home Media Network Drive (Cloud edition). Im having trouble playing the files that I have put onto the drive.

The network drive is plugged straight into the router, both my TV and Blu Ray player find the drive under the Video, Music and Photo tabs but this is where it all gets a bit moody.

Firstly all files that are on the network drive are in the same folder named 'Movies' and are, as the file name suggests, movies. They are in varying file formats, but all formats that have been played through an earlier hdd plugged into my Blu Ray player via USB.

When i navigate through the home screen to the 'Video' tab my network drive is there.When I select the drive it breaks down to folders named 'Video' 'Music' and 'Photo'. I select Video and navigate throu a few more folders and I find only one file titled as in my network drive, when I open this Iam told there is no playable file. My other film folders can be found by navigating to the other folders titled Music and Photos which I find rather strange. All with the same outcpme though. No playable file.

I have had the same results with a wireless connection on both my TV and Blu Ray player, also with a wired connection to both too. All network checks come back as good on both when connected, all firmwares are up to date.

I think its got to be something small that is stopping everything working, but what it is I don't know!!

My TV is a KDL 40HX 803

Blu Ray is a BDP-S470

All help greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Farley1975
Visitor

I think the problem is the DNLA inside your NAS drive.  I tried for a weeks to get my NAS drive to work as a DLNA server, but gave up.  Once I installed a decent media server (Mezzmo) on my PC, then everything started working.  I'm guessing the reason is that the DLNA inside NAS drives is a last minute add-on feature that NAS manufacturers think they need to have, but no NAS drive seems to have proper DLNA inside them.  Not sure - but all I know is that the PC based media servers worked so much better for me.  I use my NAS drive just for file storage now and Mezzmo reads all the files from it and streams them to my TV.