Join now - be part of our community!

Full screen on xr55a84lu

profile.country.GB.title
mrtubs
New

Full screen on xr55a84lu

Hi

I have recently agonised over buying an oled as I was concerned about screen burn, however I have taken the plunge. 
I understand you should not have the same thing showing for too long. 
When I watch tv it is great as the only static thing is the tv channel logo (is that a problem)?

But my problem comes when I watch programs on Prime using the prime app on the tv, or programs I’ve downloaded onto a usb stick and watch with the built in media player. 
when I watch using this method the screen is not full and I have large black lines at the top and bottom of the screen, which are static. 
I’ve tried playing with the screen settings but to no avail, some options are greyed out saying only valid for hdmi input. 
Is there a way I can get full screen coverage?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

These are probably 21:9 Movies, the Screen Format is 16:9 so if the Content is designed for the big screen, the black curtain bands cannot actually be eliminated.
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@mrtubs 

You can’t get screen burn in black bands, as these are areas where no pixels are turned on.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Watch the TV as you normally would and try not to worry about screen burn.

If you have watched several hours of TV with black bars top and bottom or left and right

before switching off the TV watch something full screen before switching it off.

Here is a link to a Sony article on how to reduce screen burn/ image retention on your oLED Tv,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00173479

Please note the section where it says that after you have powered down the TV (leave it plugged in)

the TV will after a few hours re calibrate the panel/ pixels, this will minimise or eliminate any image retention.

Have you switched on Pixel Shift, press Settings on the remote, select Settings on screen go to Display & Sound,

set Pixel shift to ON.

Under that you will see Panel Refresh which you can use to reduce image retention, but Sony recommends using this only once per year.

I bought my Sony oLED in November 2022 and within 10 months I noticed that the Channel 4 logo was burned in

at the top left of the screen and near the bottom were two distinct darker horizontal lines across the screen probably due to having subtitles activated.

I was annoyed that this was so noticeable after such a short time. I reached out here for any help and was glad I did.

I got a reply here from a contributor, Hannah, that told me I could manually activate pixel calibration on the TV.

And this solved the problem I had.

Here's what to do:

Press Settings on the remote, Settings on screen> System> (scroll all the way down) Retail Mode Settings

click right and switch Demo Mode On, this will also switch Picture reset on, more of that later.

Power the TV down and unplug the TV.

Wait about 30 secondhand plug the TV back in.

Power on the TV and wait about 2 to 3 minutes.

You should then see a grey box asking you if you want to start the pixel calibration, press Start.

The panel will switch off and begin the calibration, this takes about 10 minutes, be patient..

Keep being patient, it looks as though nothing is happening but it is.

When done the panel will switch back on.

Repeat this process 3 more times.

Switch off Demo Mode.

Because Picture reset was switched on then you will now have to go into the Picture settings

and change them back to what they were before you performed the calibration, so make notes

before. Unfortunately you need to do this for all other devices you use with the TV which are connected

via HDMI or USB.