Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia KDL-40NX803 Can I just hook up a 5:1 surround sound set?

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Bravia KDL-40NX803 Can I just hook up a 5:1 surround sound set?

My KDL-40NX803 manual says it has a "Digital Optical jack"

outputting "two channel linear PCM, Dolby Digital"

Magnificent as this proclamation is, I'm still totally in the dark!

Can I hook up this Logitec set,http://www.comet.co.uk/p/PC-Speakers/buy-LOGITECH-X-530-5.1-PC-Speakers-PC-Speaker/338664?_$ja=tsid:... and get 5:1 through the TV, and would it automatically output the correct sound source when I switch to my PVR which is on the HDMI 1 input?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.FR.title
ClarkLong
Expert

Hi,

No you can't.

The digital Optical Out is only for the TV tuner output and is not a passthrough.

Anything Dolby Digital (stereo or 5.1) from Digital broadcasting will be put out as Dolby or PCM if you set it up as such in the menu

Anything from DVD/DVR etc from AV in will either be put out as PCM stereo or ... no sound at all by the Bravia

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Thanks ClarkLong, seems most things I enquire about concerning this set are not possible! :cry:

Another thing I'm having problems with is accessing "Netflix"

having followed the instructions to "register my device", I'm now told that it is already registered if I again navigate to the "Activate enhanced features" icon on the TV......but there is still no sign of "Netflix" in the "Video" section of the "Xross Media Bar" menu.

Following the instructions Here:- http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=526 the wheels fall off at step 3, 'cos as stated above, there is still no sign of any entry labelled "Netflix"

HELP! :thinking:

profile.country.FR.title
ClarkLong
Expert

Sorry I can't help you on that since netflix is not available in france (yet?).

But I'm sure somebody else will :smileyhappy:, just be patient hehe

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Thanks for your help ClarkLong.

I'm not sure I'll be a big customer of Netflix, :slight_smile: but since I've meticulously gone through the registration process, I'm a bit "miffed" that it hasn't worked. :slight_frown:

As you say, some one will enlighten me!...hopefully.:smileyblush: