Join now - be part of our community!

Download straight to SD card?

John1979
Visitor

Download straight to SD card?

Hello everyone
Does anyone know how to make it so that everything I download from the Play Store goes straight to the SD card?
20 REPLIES 20
Cyberjazza
Visitor

I have the exact same problem with my M4, and from digging in the settings I have found now way to install apps straight to your sd from there.
JEZZA8
Visitor

How Download straight to SD card?

danidusk
Visitor

No, you're doing fine.

Sony just fool his costumers announcing 8GB of memory, without counting all the insatalling Android OS and predetermined apps.

Is just a shame that such a good phone came with that amount of memory.

Try to pick a google music account, practicly impossible...you need free space in your main memory to download songs, so that's a forbiden feature for M4 aqua users.

danidusk
Visitor

How ? Android system doesn't allow it.

savaii
Visitor

Hi,

Does this process require the device to be rooted?

I'm trying to follow the instructions and what I'm seeing is an error:

java.lang.SecurityException: Package android does not belong to 2000

What should I do next? My phone is an Xperia M4 Aqua. It truly is a great phone that is hamstrung by it's lack of memory.

Sinesipho
Visitor

Hi,

On your "App" settings, you can move your Apps to SD Card, this will create space on your Internal Storage. 

Shap

RedComet
Visitor

When marshmallow comes for the M4 it will work it's a android m feature
trioset
Visitor

pm set-install-location: changes the default install location
0 [auto]
1 [internal]
2 [external]
azurazura
Visitor

@xavinux wrote:

@hi @John1979 @rozix

You can also set with the Android adb, to store apps in the SD Card intead of the internal memory.

You should have ADB installed, the SDK up to date, and the USB debugging turned on from your device on the Developer Options.
Then plug your Xperia to your computer and from a command prompt (you'll probably have to be in the folder where adb.exe is,

most likely something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools\adb.exe) run this command:

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2 (where 0 represents the internal storage and 2 represents the SD Card storage).

To clear warnings about the available memory space on your device you can run:

adb shell pm hide com.sonymobile.storagechecker

I hope can be useful.

Best Regards,

Is this work for xperia z5 compact, too?

P1343
Visitor

I've got no room on my phone