profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius
2,776  Views

What are the compatible HDR (High Dynamic Range) formats on Sony's Android TV?

• HDR (High Dynamic Range):
    HDR enables handling of brightness information of a wide dynamic range compared to SDR (standard dynamic range) signals used in normal broadcasts. This reproduces shades in bright areas that tend to have blown out highlights and tones in dark areas that tend to be lost. It allows for reproduction of images with depth and three-dimensional effects that make it feel as if you were seeing it with your own eyes.

• HLG (Hybrid Log-gamma):
    HLG, as the name suggests, is a “hybrid” format that enables the output of HDR images similar to HDR10 and Dolby Vision. It can also express pictures with well-balanced brightness even in TVs in SDR (standard dynamic range).

• HDR10:
    HDR10 is a technology standard used with Ultra HD Blu-ray.

• Dolby Vision:
    One of the HDR technology standards developed by Dolby. It brings scenes to life with striking highlights, deeper darks and vibrant colors. Dolby Vision is an HDR solution that creates an immersive, engaging cinematic experience in your home.

IMPORTANT: This article only applies to specific products. Below is an HDR format compatibility chart:

Input
(Service/Device)
HDR format

Sony's Android TV Model Series

X93C, X94C, X90C
S85C, X85C, XD93, XD94, XD85 and
SD85 series

XD75, XD80, XD83,
SD80, XD70, XE80, XE85 and XE90 series

ZD9, A1, AF8
XE93, XE94
XF90, XF85, XF80, XF75 series

Built-in tuner DVB-S HLG

Video Streaming
Services/Apps
HDR10

Dolby Vision

-

-

-*1 *2

HLG

-

Input Terminal HDMI HDR10/HLG/Dolby Vision

✔/ -*1 / -

✔/ ✔/ -

✔/ ✔/-*1 *3

USB HDR10/HLG

✔/ -*1

✔/ ✔

✔/ ✔

*1: Will be supported by a software update.
*2: To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision. For more information, please contact the app/service provider.
*3: After the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such streaming media players and UHD Blu-ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of an update for a particular player, please contact the player’s manufacturer.

Note: S80C, X83C, X80C Series and 2K models released in 2015 are not HDR compatible.

2 Comments
profile.country.GB.title
anlingl
New

So when I brought my 2015 tv in 2016 4k  tv it states HDR now you are saying that is not the case what is a legal point of view on this and will Sony replace it for a television that has HDR exspesilay HDR10

profile.country.GB.title
Trader50
New

My 65XE7093 is not mentioned will I get the update to HDR10