Join now - be part of our community!

Feeling Blue? 8 tips to help with Bluetooth connection issues

profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius
3,243  Views

Bluetooth pairing and/or connection can sometimes be tougher than it looks. Although this simple technology is widely available, many people occasionally can experience a hiccup in their Bluetooth experience. Try one of these 8 tips to help you manage possible Bluetooth issues!

1. Make sure both devices are ready to go!

Your smartphone or laptop uses more energy when Bluetooth is ON, so verify if you are not in any sort of battery saving mode in which Bluetooth is disabled. Also, make sure that the audio device (headphones, speaker, etc.) you are trying to connect to is set to Bluetooth as source input.

2. First time pairing is not the same as second time pairing!

Many new devices immediately and automatically go into pairing mode the first time you turn them ON, fresh out of the box.

However, the second time you are going to pair a device, it is highly likely you have to manually put your device into pairing mode!
This is to avoid that your headphones start connecting with every random phone in the street.

3. The 7-second rule

Point 2 seamlessly brings us to a very important rule: check the second-pairing procedure of your product!
Do not assume your device automatically starts pairing when you turn it on or select Bluetooth as the source input: you might have to press and hold the pairing button for an extended amount of time: a common rule is 7 seconds. You will often hear an audio cue or see some flashing lights to inform you that your device has entered pairing mode. 

Be sure to check your manual or help guide to find out exactly what your products second-pairing procedure is!

4. Have you tried turning it OFF and ON again?

Sometimes you have both devices right next to each other, confident that both devices are actively scanning and trying to connect; still, nothing appears on your smartphone or computer list. A simple trick to fix this is to disable and re-enable Bluetooth on your phone/computer and see if the target device appears in the list. If this doesn’t solve your issue, also try restarting your phone/computer.

5. Maybe your Bluetooth device is cheating on you?

If you have connected your Bluetooth device with many other devices around, it is possible that it automatically connects to a previous device!
Make sure you have cut that connection before attempting a new one.

6. Avoid menus, use NFC!

If you don’t like going through the Bluetooth menu, or are experiencing troubles with scanning and finding the target Bluetooth device, NFC might offer an easy alternative. If your smartphone is equipped with NFC (Near Field Communication), just hold both devices close to each other: it might simplify the connection process. Moreover, it is a cool gimmick at parties!

7. Mind the gap

Bluetooth is nifty technology, but it has its limits. You can take this quite literally because the connection strength between your Bluetooth devices will gradually lessen due to distance and obstacles. If you cross a certain threshold, you will get disconnected. Just picture your Bluetooth signal as an invisible cable and take the length of that cable into consideration. As a rule of thumb, 10 metres is your maximum limit, without obstacles of any kind between the connected devices. Also, remember that pairing requires you to be close to the target device, preferably right next to it.

8. Make sure it’s a profile match!

It is a bit technical, but there are various Bluetooth profiles that can cause mayhem if they are not aligned. For example, there are transmitting and receiving Bluetooth devices (your phone is able to send music to a speaker, but not the other way around). Always consider the purpose of the device you’re trying to pair with. 

Alternatively, if a device allows for more than one mode of connection—phone, music, messages, and address book, — try disabling certain modes on either connected device to see if that helps your problem.

9 Comments
Jorja2008
New

I brought a sony music centre with NFC bluetooth then brought a set of Sony headphones NFC Still cant connect no mater what i try switching on off on off a gain but still no joy .

Jorja2008
New

still cant connect bluetooth getting very frustrated

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Jorja2008,

which two devices exactly are you trying to pair?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
terryanderson
Explorer

I have the HT-CT390 sound bar and am trying to pair with sony headphones WD1000M2B through bluetooh and NFC but they wont pair.

can anyone help.

Regards

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @terryanderson,

as far as I am concerned, the Bluetooth on your Soundbar is only to connect playback-devices to it (e.g. smartphones/tablets).

I could be wrong though, so please give me some time to research if that is the case, or if there is any way to connect your headphones anyways.

- Nic

Matsky
New

Good day all,

I have a Sony soundbar HT-CT260 which is great despite being a gen older. My question is can I link with another bluetooth speaker if so do you have anyidea what speaker will function with this.

I have read many articles online about this with regard to apps but Im not sure if this relates to an older gen bluetooth speaker?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Mumsy.27
Explorer

please help ive tried so hard to pair my new xm3 headphones with my kd49..7003 Bravia tv,but I’m thinking cos I’m with virginmedia and don’t seem to be able get it to accept a new device etc..paired with mobile and iPad not a problem..I’m getting on in years BUT  although usually able to fix this has beaten me.Anybody help gratefully received 

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

@Mumsy.27 For the models since 2016 (yours is an XD70 Android TV?) there is a workaround, you need to install the Bluetooth Pair Application and then try pairing (I can not guarantee that it will work for your TV). Bluetooth Pair can not find it in the Play Store, you need to search the Internet for the installation of the Apps (APK), then transfer it to the TV via a USB memory and install it with a File Manager (if you do not have one install it from the Play Store ). You have to enable the installation from "Unknown sources" on the TV, find a MENU item with this name. Manolo

David44
Explorer

My Sony wh-ch720n headphones and Samsung smart tv will not connect, comes up with paired , connecting, but drops out before connecting!? are there different compatabilities of Bluetooth?   HELP Samsung don’t want to know!