Join now - be part of our community!

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

UPDATED ***RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue***

Hi all,

To avoid having several thread son the same subject I thought I'd try an let you know what I believe has happened so far, please don't shot the messenger after all I am only a user like yourselves & DO NOT WORK FOR SONY..

As you all have noticed Sony do not have technical support on the weekends, one of the 'Experts' noticed several users posting regarding RDR machines either stuck in Update or Digital channels missing and emailed one of our contacts in Sony this morning but as far as I am aware there has not been a reply..

I have also noticed that the newly appointed Community Managers have as also flagged this issue to their dedicated team (see post), unfortunately as it's the weekend I wouldn't expect any information to made available until Monday..

Quinnicus has posted two temporary workarounds that will hopefully allow you to use your RDR's..

For those stuck in Update please click HERE

For those with the No Digital Channels Issue please click HERE

I can imagine that you are frustrated by the lack of official response from Sony but could I ask that rather than creating several threads on the subject you instead just click on Me Too on this thread that will indicate how many users that have visited the forum are affected by the problem..

I am affected by the current RDR Stuck in Update or no Digital channels issue & have clicked on Me Too

UPDATE:

Hopefully the EPG is on your Sony RDR devices should now be back to normal..

I would like to thank all the Community forum members who helped in assisting others through this problem..:smileythumbsup:

167 REPLIES 167
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi LastLap,

if you have tried the solutions in the link then I guess it's best you contact Sony support as per the suggestion at the bottom of the instructions, hopefully they can assist you in resolving the problem..

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

LastLap

Eventually got through to the phone support - no one had replied to my e-mails.   I was told that I probably needed to download updates for my recorder and that I would be e-mailed the necessary information.   I was also told that if I had problems I was to reply to the e-mail.   I managed to do the downloads but my machine just powers off after a minute of doing anything - and that included the updates disc!   I replied to the e-mail outlining everything that is currently wrong but have had no response back.   I still have a recorder that won't record and won't play previously recorded programmes - and this is not the same thing as July when it was the EPG side of things that was the problem.   At least then I could manually record and play back.   This is hopeless.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have just re-read your first message.  Im thinking that this is nothing to do with the problems from 20/21st July.

You said in your first message about "write error messages" what specifically are these messages that you are getting?  Im thinking that this is more a hardware fault, more specifically to do with the HDD itself.  And if thats the case, you may need to speak to an authorised Sony Repair Centre.

Cheers

LastLap

The display was just saying WRITE ERR when it was trying to record.   It will now record a small part of a programme but it still 'freezes' and powers off in the middle of things.   I had downloaded updates onto a disc but it powers itself off before it can lad the updates.   This has only happened since it froze in the Updates mode.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I understand that it is frustrating for you in trying to get this problem resolved.  Unfortunately, I believe that you still need to contact Sony Support - As to me, this doesnt appear to be a problem that can be resolved by a couple of button clicks (just my opinion anyhow)

This is what I have discovered in regards to your problem

• Write Err - The Drive failed to write and could not be recovered.

This is under the heading of "Drive System - Related Errors" on page 6-14 from the following PDF located : Here

I hope this assists in anyway

Cheers

binbags

Hi There

Quinnicus, you advice sounds OK, but LastLap will need the service remote for this procedure.  If you are not sure of using the service remote, it may be prudent to steer clear of this.

LastLap, I would call Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@Thalamus. wrote:

Hi LastLap,

if you have tried the solutions in the link then I guess it's best you contact Sony support as per the suggestion at the bottom of the instructions, hopefully they can assist you in resolving the problem..

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Lastlap, as mentioned above contact Sony support as I do not think we can recify this problem on the user forum..:smileywink:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi binbags - I wasnt advising LastLap to do anything other than to go through Sony Support - Was only providing evidence of what I found :slight_smile:

LastLap

Many thanks to everyone.    I did contact Sony and was asked to save downloads from my computer to try to to updates to the recorder system.   This didn't work as the machine powered off before the uploads could finish.   I have now been told that I will need to get it to an approved Sony repair agent.

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

binbags

Hi Quinnicus

Sorry for miss-reading your article.:smileyconfused:  As advised, LastLap has done the correct thing.  Hope he gets it sorted out pronto.