Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN860 Receiver: No sound when TV is off

SOLVED
Centaurion
Explorer

STR-DN860 Receiver: No sound when TV is off

I have a STR-DN860 receiver, with several devices connected through HDMI in... such as a blu-ray player, a CD/DVD player and more. HDMI out is connected to the TV.

Hooked up to the receiver is a set of 5.1 speakers (wired).

When the TV is on, everything works just fine... sound from the the selected input mode goes to the speakers, the images go to the TV. But if I turn off/don't turn on the TV, the receiver refuses to send sound to the speakers. It's as if it only wants to use the speakers when the HDMI output port is also available. Is there any setting in the setup that I can change to fix this, so that I can play sound from my CD player on my speakers without having to turn on the TV?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Centaurion
Explorer

Found it. If I disable "Control for HDMI" in the HDMI Settings on the receiver, then the receiver WILL send sound to my CD player even when the TV is off. The sound will still stop when the TV is on and I turn it off (apparently the receiver still tries to be smarter than it should, even when that setting it off), but pausing the music and starting it again will resume output to the speakers.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Centaurion
Explorer

Found it. If I disable "Control for HDMI" in the HDMI Settings on the receiver, then the receiver WILL send sound to my CD player even when the TV is off. The sound will still stop when the TV is on and I turn it off (apparently the receiver still tries to be smarter than it should, even when that setting it off), but pausing the music and starting it again will resume output to the speakers.