Join now - be part of our community!

Soundbar HT-XT1: question on optical input

HornetMaX
New

Soundbar HT-XT1: question on optical input

Hi all,

i've just received my HT-XT1 and I've connected it to my 42W653A via HDMI (ARC), all works fine.

I have an old dvd player that is connected to the TV via a component vido cable (YPbPr, no hdmi out). For the audio from the dvd player, if I use a classical analog cable from the dvd to the tv, then all works fine, the audio is transfered from the tv to the ht-xt1.

But if I use the digital audio out of the dvd player (optical cable) to connect it straight to the HT-XT1, then I don't get any sound.

There's no way to manually select the "digital in" (OPT(TV)) as source. It seems that as an hdmi arc is connected, the HT-XT1 disregards the digital in.

It seems a bit weird to me: we have a digital input but it can be used only when an hdmi arc is not used ?

Am I missing something ?

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

No your not missing anything, the optical is designed for tv only:

_20151203_232848.JPG

So, you will need to connect the DVD to the TV.  Alternatively, bluray players are now pretty cheap and they do play DVDs.

Cheers

HornetMaX
New

Thanks for the reply Quinnicus.

It just feels "wrong" to have a digital input and not be able to actually use it for whichever external device without going through the TV. I mean, it's just a matter of having:

TV->HDMI1->HDMI2->HDMI3->DIGITAL->ANALOG->BT AU

That would make much more sense. Overall not a big deal, it's just a strange design.