Join now - be part of our community!

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
rdr-hxd995_owner

RDR.. Issues (May 2014) - MASTER THREAD

Friday 23rd May approx 19:00 attempted to turn on DVD recorder RDR-HXD995. Seemed reluctant to power on from remote (and when pressing power on on unit itself) as in UPDATE mode. Finally after switching power off at the wall a few times, managed to get it to respond. However when a channel is selected, it displays for a short while and then the screen goes blank. Also, a programme which was set to record, has not recorded.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem - is this July all over again or is it just me?

Any help/advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

181 REPLIES 181
profile.country.GB.title
saphirec30
Explorer

I would have thought it fairly simple to work out what's wrong if it's only affecting one transmitter(i assume we're still saying it's only Crystal Palace). What is different about the info that's being transmitted from there compared to the other transmitters.

A question, is it the recorder that initiates the check for updates(software and /or epg info) or does the signal from the transmitter start the update download and also what times are the scheduled updates(I notice folk have mentioned 03:00 and 10:00, are they the only times?)

Melrose16
Explorer

Still no joy, and no response from anyone at Sony! All Sony UK Twitter can suggest is for angry customers to try the fixes suggested on this forum which for most of us are just not working. This is unacceptable. Get it sorted Sony and quick.
Greysurfer

As it seems to work for some and not others I wondered whether there was any difference in the model - so is only one or two models that are ok (and which ones) or is it just random.

I believe updates are 3.00 a.m., 5.00 a.m., 10.00 a.m., 2.00 p.m. but not sure of the evenings ones.

James_S
Explorer

This may not be what you want to hear! - Having had this problem last week and last year, we have not been affected yesterday or today.  

But we are on the Callington Transmitter in Cornwall!

Well done Quinnicus for keeping it together.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks James_S  :thumbsup:

I can appreciate everyones frustration, especially as this happened a week ago (exact same time?).  Technically at this moment, Sony can only "fight the fires" as they say.  It seems the EPGs on the RDR are quite sensative to incorrect information being fed to it.  Sony is therefore working very closly with the company that handles the EPG updates to hopefully ensure that this doesnt occur again. 

Thats basically the lowdown at this moment.

This time round, from my perspective, it seems to be a lot of "randomisation".  So we've all seem to have identified "Crystal Palace" transmitter.  But why so much effort in getting it all going again, compared to last weeks issue? Don't know yet, until fully investigated.

Cheers.

keithrazzell
Explorer

At 12:50 on 31 May I have done another setup and all seems to be working OK, including correct (normal) colours for EPG.

Thanks Quinnicus for acting as central focus.

ricross50

Problem was back this morning. Recorder was stuck showing "DATE" and needed off/on at the mains to get it started. Then back to show picture for a few seconds then freeze and go black. Repeated the Setup, again cancelling out when it started rescanning. Then had to go into Guide and let EPG reload before could get channels. Now working again, although EPG is still turqouise. I haven't tried recording anything yet though - but have series link on for Wallander and Fargo so will be seriously p***ed if it doesn't record them!

I'm guessing that if the issue is something in the EPG data, maybe for BBC London judging by the fact it's Crystal Palace (which we're on) only and tends to happen when the recorder starts up on BBC1, then the setup clears out the EPG data and once it's reloaded cleanly then it's happy...until it gets the next load of dodgy data.

I'm tempted to try and full reset since that seems to have worked for some, including fixing the EPG colours, but am worried that it'll re-format the disk and we'll lose all our recordings. Can anyone confirm if it's safe to do please?

BaldBalr0g
Explorer

Hi

We got problems yesterday where the selected channel would display but then go blank after a few seconds and the guide was in the wrong colours.  On two machines, but not on the older tthird machine.  Then this morning they were stuck on update.  Tried everything.  If I choose France I get 122 channels including BBC1 - but it forces you back to Guide+.  When you change to digital guide it's empty and still the wrong colours.

Needless to say we're a but ...... off.  Last week sorted quite easily

Did try UK channels again, but back to going blank after a few seconds.  Aaaaaarrrgghhhh!!!!

Anyone managed to fix this fully yet?

Rob

Greysurfer

Have you tried the Easy Setup route described earlier in the forum and cancelling it when it starts to find the channels during a retune?  This worked for me and eventually my EPG colours have returned to normal. I tried a recording set via the EPG and that has also worked so my only "outstanding" is to see whether the next update messes it all up again.

If it doesn't then I think I am one of the lucky ones who has it sorted and who is very grateful to everyone on this forum for their help and guidance.

BaldBalr0g
Explorer

Tried to fix the guide - so switched off, unplugged and left dfisconnected for a minute - switched back on - picture came up - and - went blank after 20 seconds!!!!!!  And that's with the French channels that I'd been watchinbg for quite a while.  Changed channel and it's okay - which thinking about it - this all happened last time i switched on.  On English channels changibg channels still goes blank

Rob