Join now - be part of our community!

HT-CT380 - Problems with using ARC ?

CaptainEO
New

HT-CT380 - Problems with using ARC ?

Hi,

Having just bought a new Blu Ray Player & Soundbar I'm experiencing problems when connecting both pieces of new equipment to my Sony TV. Should anyone be able to assist I'd be most grateful. I'm setting up the following ...

Sony Bravia TV 42W805A

Sony Blu-Ray Player BDP-S7200

Sony Sound Bar HT-CT380

The manual tells me to link HDMI Out on Sound Bar to ARC Input on TV then run my Blu Ray & Sky Box via the Sound Bar using HDMI Out on both devices & into Sound Bar HDMI Slots, effectively using up all 3 HDMI slots on Sound Bar yet only the one on TV. All HDMI cables are relatively new & good quality however when setting up the system like this the picture quality via both Sky & Blu Ray Player are oddly over-saturated, bright & blocky.

Due to the above, I've now simply run the Blu Ray & Sky into my tv but whilst picture quality is fantastic using both, am I getting full benefit of the Sound Bar ... I'm thinking not ?

I did have a decent Sony 3D Blu Ray Player & Sound Bar prior to the new purchases & oddly enough the Blu Ray picture quality was always similar to the one I was experiencing using the original connection as detailed above.

Am I missing something as right now I've spent a decent amount on 3 pieces of equipment that all have excellent user reviews but can't help feeling somewhat dissatisfied despite all being Sony products that should be "talking" to each other ?

Thanks  

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

I wonder if the issue here is with your HDMI cables? You say that they're relatively new but are they rated as 'High Speed' (Cat2)? Sometimes manufactures print this information along the side of the cable.

Please refer to the following link for further explanation:

What is the difference between a Standard HDMI cable and a High-Speed HDMI cable?

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It seems you didn't set correctly the TV image setting for the HDMI ARC port...

The best connection schema is the one suggested through the soundbar, since in this way it processes directly the audio input without any interference from the passthrough from the TV.

You have to be aware that the image setting are valid for each TV input, so if you use the same setting for the BDP let say in port HMDI3 on the one in which is connected the soundbar (I don't remember the number of the HDMI-ARC enabled one) the result have to be exactly the same. Push the option button on the remote while on the BDP through soundbar and check the setting for the image.

You have also to be aware that sky boxes are known for creating problem with HDMI-CEC (aka Braviasync) so you may experience some problem in the automatic switch on/off and control of the attached devices from the TV remote...