Join now - be part of our community!

BDP S7200 won't play MP3 files on CD-R disks

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
stephan_b
Explorer

BDP S7200 won't play MP3 files on CD-R disks

My BDP S7200 will not play mp3 files when I burn them onto a CD-R (in CD-ROM format) and finalise the disk using NERO 15. The BDP S7200 manual says that the player will play CD-ROM disks and that it will play mp3 files. It does not. If I load the same disks into my ancient SONY RDR-HXD860 it plays the disks with the mp3 files no problem! It seems like the codec in the new equipment is less capable than the codec in new equipment. My BDP S7200 has the latest firmware. Has anyone found a way round this? Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
stephan_b
Explorer

My theory was completely wrong. I tried burning the 'good' MP3 files onto a CD-R in CD-ROM format and the BDP S7200 refused to play them or even see them. So by a process of elimination I decided that the problem must be the disk format. I used Nero 15 to burn a bunch of MP3s onto a CD-R which was formatted as an "Audio CD" and the BDP played them. So there we have it. The manual is correct in so far as the BDP will play CD-Rs and it will play MP3s but only when "Audio CD" format is used. This is slightly disappointing because my ancient SONY RDR-HXD860 will play MP3s on a plain old CD-R in CD-ROM format. The value of this is that you can stick a very large number of minutes MP3s onto a CD-ROM but only a limited number of minutes of MP3s on an "Audio CD". I am slightly disappointed. Still never mind.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Hi there,

I have a BDP-S7200 also and although I have yet to test a CD with MP3's I do know of a better solution.

For a few pounds you can buy a low profile USB Thumb Drive (see picture below) and play your MP3's using that device instead. The beauty of a thumb drive is that it can hold thousands of tracks and many more than a CD.

Sandisk Cruzer Fit.jpg

Cruzer Fit 64 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

I have one of these little beauties plugged into the front USB socket on my BD Player and because of it's extremely small size I leave it attached all the time. The one shown above is available on Amazon for around £14 for the 64 Gb version or £4.95 for the 16 Gb version. I can fit the entire contents of my music library on this device and also allow room for a few MP4 Movies. It's a no brainer really, CD's are so dated nowadays.

If you have a few MP3 CD's you could simply copy the files over to a thumb drive and keep the CD's as backup copies.

Maybe ask Santa for one? You won't be disappointed, I have 3 now and love them! 

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Can you please ensure that you are compliant with the following, especially highlighted.  

_20151125_020251.JPG

Some things to test:

1. Try a proper music CD (not burnt by you).  If that works,
  2. Try creating a CD with a few photos on to test.  
  3. Try playing music from a USB drive or via DLNA over your network.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@Anonymous

This player doesn't play Photo CD's. :dizzy:

Discs that cannot be played
• BDs with cartridge
• BDXLs
• DVD-RAMs
• HD DVDs
• DVD Audio discs
PHOTO CDs
• Data part of CD-Extras
• Super VCDs
• Audio material side on DualDiscs

The User Manual is your friend..., seek forth and ye shall find answers. Can't find any? Join the club, we have all the answers here, occasionally they're even right! :wink: Dr.Slinky McVelvet - Inventor of the word 'Mellifluous' - 30.12.14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not talking about proper photo cds, just a few jpgs on a cd and finalised 😛

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

LOL.., I thought Photo CD was just a posh name for a CD with photos on it. (tail between legs time)!

Anonymous
Not applicable

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photo_CD

Dont worry, i did a stupid thing today/yesterday too. On the main Android TV thread: it was mentioned an issue with a BT remote.  I took it as British Telecom and not Bluetooth (LOL)  - anyway, now totally off topic.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

Thanks for the link, crikey no wonder it died a death!

With USB thumb drives so cheap these days CD's seem so old hat. I've got a tub full of them and only use about one per year and even then it's because I'm too lazy to unplug a thumb drive instead.

I used to burn quite a few CD's for the car but my iPod and iTrip device replaced using CD's in the car.

Anyway, I digress.

BT Remote indeed, that's priceless!! :laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
stephan_b
Explorer

@ MK_Slinky ---- Well that was weird. I tried your suggestion of moving the mp3 file onto a usb key and strangely the BDP S7200 couldn't see it on there either. I concluded that maybe there was something odd about the mp3 file (although it played OK on my ancient SONY HDR). I tried a few other mp3 files from different sources on the usb key and success! the BDP S7200 could see the files and played them. I have no idea what it might be about the original mp3 files that stops the player seeing it. So, really my original gripe remains. What I'll try next is burning some of the mp3 files which WOULD play on the usb key onto a CD-R and see if the BDP S7200 will play them on that format too. I'm aware that there are varieties of MP3 format, there must be something about the original file that the BDP S7200 simply doesn't like.

profile.country.GB.title
MK_Slinky
Contributor

@stephan_b

That's interesting! 

Okay, lets test a theory of mine. Regarding the MP3's which don't play, please right click one of those files using your computer and select 'Properties'. On the details tab in the properties window scroll down and check to see if that track is protected or not?

Here's a screen shot of the properties window of one of my MP3's. As you can see this particular file is not protected.

Screenshot (36).png

The reason for asking you to check this is that your manual says that some protected content cannot be played. This might explain the problem you're having.

If the above is not the issue then it's most likely how they were ripped to MP3 or more specifically what software you used.

If you did rip these tracks yourself did you use the same ripping software for each? Perhaps as another test you can re-rip them with a different program? iTunes can rip CD's to MP3 and does it super fast too!