Join now - be part of our community!

Z3 terrible phone with bad design faults.

Z3 terrible phone with bad design faults.

Hi, my names Sam and I'm an artist. I got a Sony z1 on contract a few years ago as it had the best camera and was also pitched as an adventurers phone so was waterproof! and I was extreampy happy with it. It worked beautifully and was very responsive, it took many many drops and bangs and trips underwater. After a couple of years of good use it went underwater then I forgot to clear the headphone jack plug and inserting my headphones pushed water into the phone and killed it, my own stupid fault! Having been so pleased with my z1 in the way it was so responsive and robust and also liking Sony in general ( TV car sterio etc) I decided on buying a z3......... What a terrible mistake.
The first z3 I was given the screen was extreamly slow and glitchy and the speaker phone was actually broken! After a week with this terrible price of rubbish I phoned Sony and the told me to go swop it at point of purchase. A 30 mile drive and just under four hours later I had a replacement z3. This was almost as bad as the first one, speakerphone was barley audible for me or the reciver of the call and the screen was so unresponsive and constantly sticking that it drives me crazy, it's like using a first generation touch screen phone, it's truly terrible.
On top of this about two weeks after I got the phone it fell from about 10" onto the floor so softly it didn't even mark the phone, ( I had dropped my z1 many hundreds of times) I inspected the phone and it looked totally fine, so thought nothing more of it. Later that day I washed my phone and put it on side, I then noticed the vibrate going off randomly and the screen started flickering and I new instantly it had water in it!! I whipped the back off and sure enough full of water. Luckily it came in at other end to mother bored so I saved the phone which I am writing to you on now.
This happend because Sony have changed the design of the frame in this series of phone from solid aluminium to plastic with metal covers, and this new design means that any tiny nock to the sides will let water in and kill the phone, obviously saving Sony money and selling more replacements. I always liked and trusted Sony but looking at the inside of this z3 in comparison to the z1 I feel I have been completely ripped off and sold a totally inferior product that isn't fit for purpose as it's not waterproof in the real world. If Sony had sold the phone saying 'waterproof until the first time you give it the slightest little knock ' I would never have got the z3 I would have paid £200 less for basically the same model that's not waterproof, and that's not even considering the problems with screen and speaker phone! All in I feel I have been totally ripped off buy Sony on this z3. In your quest for profits you have tired to save to much money on manufacture with this model and produced an inferior badly designed product that is not fit for purpose!  All this has put my faith in Sony in general into question. I thought you were a reputable company that made quality products, not rip off merchants selling badly made rubbish.

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry to hear youve had a lot of troubles with the Z3.  Although you might want to post your experience on the dedicated mobiles forum: http://talk.sonymobile.com/community/support

They may be able to assist or advise.

Cheers