Join now - be part of our community!

Windows 8.1 USB connection

Nigelar72
New

Windows 8.1 USB connection

I have a sony dsc-55 camera. I've just updated my laptop to windows 8.1 from 8. The camera does not appear as a drive in file manager/explorer although it is recognised as a device in device manager. I see an error code 10. Everything worked fine under windows 8. Other devices (external hard drive) connect ok. Also able to see and load pictures on an older laptop running windows Xp. I've tried reinstalling drivers with no effect. Any suggestions? Is this a known problem with 8.1?
1 REPLY 1
Nigelar72
New

I had a reply from sony support:

Dear

Thank you for your reply.

In regards to windows 8.1, we regret to advise you that it is not compatible. If there are any updates in the future, it will be posted on our website in the downloads tab of your camera page.
I am sorry I cannot be of greater assistance on this occasion; however I hope that my e-mail has gone some way to clarifying this matter.

Thank you for your enquiry
Sincerely yours
Hagar
Sony Customer Support

I had done some checking o this problem and the reply from sony suggests they have not done any. A quick google of "sony camera windows 8.1" revealed that many people are having this problem. What is more is is recognised by Microsoft as a known problem and they are preparing a fix - see here

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/sony-dscw7-not-recognised/5cee9...

Until then, we will have to wait or try the suggested workaround.