Join now - be part of our community!

Water Ingress....overexposure

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sandieballantyne

Water Ingress....overexposure

So...I posted just over a week ago when my DSC-RX100M3 found its way into one of the few remaining micr-pools left of our stream and was immersed with water being visible behind the lens. With a minimal knowledge of cameras I checked to see if the camera was working (which I've since been told was the worst thing I could do) and then proceded to mop all obvious water off and placed it in a very warm area to dry out. 

After 24 hours there was no longer visible water behind the lens, but looking through the viewfinder, the appearance was as of a thick mist. 

I posted it off to Sony and had it returned today saying that water ingress meant that a repair could/would not be done as a repair guarantee could not be given.

I expected to find the camera as before, but it was not. The image through the viewfinder looks very clear. Pics. taken  on auto settings outside look over-exposed and indoors as though objects in the foreground are in focus, but not in focus a little further away. Could this just be down to some setting alteration made whilst the camera was being inspected? (Bear in mind I am not deserving of a decent camera as a) I'm not safe with them b) I tend to use the auto setting all the time.......but I'm not beyond being able to learn.

Any advice would be very welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @sandieballantyne,

instead of going trough the settings and check which could be the direct cause for your issue, I recommend to reset the camera to factory settings, since this resets all the settings made during inspection.

- Nic

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @sandieballantyne,

instead of going trough the settings and check which could be the direct cause for your issue, I recommend to reset the camera to factory settings, since this resets all the settings made during inspection.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
sandieballantyne

Thank You, Nic,

It's currently sitting in a sealed box with a 'Moisture Magnet' to draw out any drop of residual moisture. I'll do a reset after a couple of days (after saying my prayers!)

Sandie

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @sandieballantyne,

I wish you luck :wink:

- Nic