Join now - be part of our community!

Sony cyber shot DSC W55

profile.country.GB.title
poppyjackson1954-.
New

Sony cyber shot DSC W55

Hi everyone, can someone please help me.  I am in my late sixties and had my pc cleaned out. Now the pc does not recognise my camera  so I can load up my photos. Tried getting help but was asked to download  Imaging Edge. I am totally lost. It used to be so simple.   Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @poppyjackson1954-.,

@poppyjackson1954-.  schrieb:

Hi everyone, can someone please help me.  I am in my late sixties and had my pc cleaned out. Now the pc does not recognise my camera  so I can load up my photos. Tried getting help but was asked to download  Imaging Edge. I am totally lost. It used to be so simple.   Thank you. 

well, I'm in my early sixties and will try my best to help you. 😉

From my point of view the easiest way for transferring your images to your PC would be buying a card reader. Your camera uses "Memory Stick Duo" storage cards, right? So I'd suggest that you look for something like this (only an example, there are other and cheaper ones around and of course you can look for other vendors). Just make sure that your operating system is mentioned in the specifications of the device.

Anyhow, in case you want to connect your camera to your PC for transferring your images I'd need to ask you a few questions:

• What do you mean by "PC cleaned out"? Did you re-install your existing system or did you install a new one? In both cases: About which system are you talking? Win 7 or even older (like XP), Win 8 or 10?
  • Imaging Edge would be the right way to go in most cases (download here, you'll find the desktop version at the bottom of the page). However, you need to have a 64bit operating system (Win 8.1 64bit or Win 10) in order to be able to run it.
  • In case Imaging Edge does not work for you, you still can get its predecessor PlayMemories Home here.
  • Are you trying to establish a USB connection from the camera to your PC? If so, you may have trouble accessing the camera directly when using a modern system like Win 10 because USB drivers for that camera seem to be available for systems up to Windows XP only. Even more, you obviously need to possess the original installation disk as those drivers obviously are not available for download anymore. Nevertheless, establishing a USB connection may even work when using Win 10. That's trial and error though.

Hope that I could help you.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
poppyjackson1954-.
New

Thank you ever so much for getting back to me. Losing the will to live over this camera. Sent my pc off to get checked out cause I thought I might be hacked.  I was not. The pc got windows 10 put on it so maybe that is where the problem lies.  I got the Imaging Edge with viewer, remote, and edit downloaded the other day but I am not too sure how to use this stuff.  Life was so uncomplicated before, just plugged in and computer copied all to my folder!  thank you so much again. 

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @poppyjackson1954-.,

sorry for the late reply.

I'm afraid that Imaging Edge will not work for you, at least when thinking of transferring your images from the camera to the PC. I've found a (German) compatibility list for Imaging Edge but the DSC-W55 is not mentioned.

Therefore I'd suggest to use PlayMemories Home (link see in my last post) which should work. I'm using it on my Win 10 machine without problems. Anyhow, the easiest way still would be to transfer the images by means of a card reader. Once they're on the PC you can use any programme you like for handling/editing them.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)