Join now - be part of our community!

no live audio on CX240 Camcorder

profile.country.IE.title
andy_from_sligo
Explorer

no live audio on CX240 Camcorder

so I have this Sony CX240 handycam and I can get video with live video no problem at all , but no audio. I even got the add on phono accesory cable (the one with yellow, white, red phono ends) and stil no joy. when i play back something I recorded then I get sound from the recording. But when i film something live , no sound, just video. 

Yes I know about the possibility of feedback howling if I were to hold the camera near to the TV monitor , but my older DV cam the TRV-14e gives me sound out of the phono sockets as well as video whilst live monitoring, why did sony take the decision not to make it available on the CX240 camcorder (and other SD card camcorders in the Sony Range I think I read somewhere). 

Does anyone know any workarounds I might not of heard of please. 

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @andy_from_sligo,

I imagine it outputs audio via HDMI - have you tried to look for an adapter to get a stereo audio output from there?

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
andy_from_sligo
Explorer

@IamNic wrote:

Hello @andy_from_sligo,

I imagine it outputs audio via HDMI - have you tried to look for an adapter to get a stereo audio output from there?

- Nic

Thank you for your answer Nic - as a test I just tried your suggestion on my HDMI TV and it works in exactly the same way, no audio on live video but just a picture.

- seems so silly excluding the audio like this on the new camcorders when the older TRV-14e has audio along with picture when live, sure there can be howl/feedback but then if that happens I just move away from TV speaker or turn the volume down on TV.  TRV-14e , although older even has an earphone socket that Sony have not included on this new CX240 so much more flexible , but only has standard 576i definition and not HD and not brilliant in low light.