Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX53 shooting interlaced when set to progressive

SOLVED
profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

FDR-AX53 shooting interlaced when set to progressive

Hello,

My FDR-AX53 camera reset by itself one day, and now I can't make it shoot it 1080/25p AVCHD. I tried resetting again, changing some other settings, going to 50p (which works) and back to 25p, but the videos I get are 25i instead of 25p, which is more than annoying (who shoots in 25i anymore, not a top of the line camcorder certainly).

Has anyone encountered this problem, is there a solution?

Thanks in advance!

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

That would be totally useless and besides the point, as the details tab in Windows does not provide any info about the scanning method, only framerate. 

But since you think you know everything and don't trust such proffessional tools as Premiere Pro, I will humor you:Clipboard01.jpg

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Filminator,

@Filminator  schrieb:

Windows does not provide any info about the scanning method, only framerate. 

that is true, yet it shows the bitrate and that was what I wanted to get down to to see which format you shoot in.

You seem to shoot in the AVCHD format and there you either choose the FX or FH mode.

Maybe since AVCHD also supports 50i, your video editing software mistakenly thinks the 25p footage is 50i footage.

I would switch to XAVC-S to test this.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

"My video editing software" (top rated and world known, but anyway) is showing 25p for videos filmed before the self-reset incident, and 25i (not 50i) for the clips filmed with the same settings after the incident, so it's definitely not an error of the software.

I will try XAVC-S, but I don't like that mode, because of how the files are imported (I rely heavily on the shooting date and time embedded in the filename, which seems to be available only in AVCHD mode).

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Filminator,

I am just trying to help you - without having the camera or your computer in front of me I have to do that by asking questions, which may or may not sound stupid to you. 

What otherwise would be a random click with the mouse, which you wouldn't even notice if you were standing right beside me is a whole back and forth between us two on this forum here.

I wish there was a way to play around with your camcorder without asking you to perform steps which may not lead to a conclusion, yet sentences like this 

@Filminator  schrieb:

"My video editing software" (top rated and world known, but anyway) is showing 25p for videos filmed before the self-reset incident, and 25i (not 50i) for the clips filmed with the same settings after the incident, so it's definitely not an error of the software.

don't really motivate me to investigate any further. :slight_frown:

@Filminator  schrieb:

I rely heavily on the shooting date and time embedded in the filename, which seems to be available only in AVCHD mode

that is correct - XAVC-S uses the "CXXXX.mp4" naming scheme.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

That is because your questions sound like they are addressed to a person that has no experience with filming and has just bought this camera, basically questioning the existence of my problem instead of coming up with causes or solutions. I'm sorry, but that is now what I came here for.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Filminator,

@Filminator  schrieb:

That is because your questions sound like they are addressed to a person that has no experience with filming and has just bought this camera

in this forum I meet people of different levels of knowledge regarding photography or video shooting/editing.

Therefore I approach everyone the same way which is usually met with a positive response.

In your case I can understand that you might feel like I am taking you for an idiot, even though i am not.

@Filminator  schrieb:

basically questioning the existence of my problem

To be honest - in 90% of the cases it is user error which leads to any issue reported on the Sony Community. 

As I said before there were similar posts which could have had the same underlying issue.

Also I don't have all the specs of every device memorized, which can lead to either A - mixing up the specs of two similar products or B - assuming your product has a feature which it has not.

In both cases it might be very frustrating to you, since it seems like I don't properly read your posts.

@Filminator  schrieb:

I'm sorry, but that is now what I came here for.

This is a user-user-help forum - if you want to talk to more sophisticated people, you might want to call the support hotline, even though  it can be that you get a rather unexperienced support-agent on the other end of the line in that case as well.

Would you mind to share a screenshot of the message which pops up in Premiere Pro when you want to import on of the affected files? Maybe I can do some research on the Premiere Pro forums to see why it might misinterpret the files scanning method by knowing the exact way the message is worded.

I assume since the camera is set to 25p and you probably already played back the files and can't see any artifacts which would indicate the footage is anything else than 25p footage, the files are in fact misinterpreted by both MediaInfo and Premiere Pro.

On the other hand if the videos shows scan-lines while the camera is set to 25p, the issue is on the cameras end as you already suspected.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

You are actually right, the problem is in the latest version of Premiere Pro and not the camera. I just linked the problem with the self-reset reported to me by the person filming several weeks ago, which, after further inquiries, proved to be just a more or less accidental change of shooting mode, and not with the Premiere Pro update that happened a little later.

Now I checked with a friend that has 2 machines, one with the latest version of PP and one with an earlier one, and he confirmed that the issue manifests only on the machine with the latest version.

What is weird is that MediaInfo started reporting erroneously too, which means that either the PP update messed something system-wide, or that MediaInfo somehow uses a PP library.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Filminator,

thanks for letting me know of your findings :upside_down:

I marked your last reply as the solution - I hope that is ok with you.

- Nic