Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX33 shuts itself off mid recording and corrupts video

profile.country.GB.title
MrSnooch
New

FDR-AX33 shuts itself off mid recording and corrupts video

Hi there,

I have an issue with my FDR-AX33 that is the same as what is discussed here - https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00004IKow7SAD/how-to-salvage-corrupt-nonfinalized-befo...

The battery will be fully charged (official Sony, and some 6hr third party batteries), but without warning the camera will switch itself off. The battery icon will still show it as full, or maybe just half empty, no messages on screen or any warning whatsoever, and then it shuts off.

Playback of the video is impossible, the end result is a corrupted video. 

Has anyone encountered this? Any solutions?

What about dealing with the corrupted video that I am left with? What are my options with that, I know plenty of software exists but these are mainly shareware/freeware software and just don't cut it. Any professional services available?

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @MrSnooch, welcome to the Community.

Unfortunately the 'sudden loss of power' issue is a characteristic of Lithium batteries and the best solution would be to purchase a high-capacity accessory battery to give you longer shooting duration. 

I'm not aware of any retrieval software unfortunately, certainly nothing that's been released since the post you link to.

I'll ask about professional services; meanwhile another Community member may have some ideas.

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Tenneen9000

Hi MrSnooch,

That's disconcerting. Have you tried initializing the handycam? If you did, let us know the outcome.

Cheers,

Tenneen9000