Join now - be part of our community!

Tv won't stay connected to wifi keeps connecting and disconnecting.

profile.country.GB.title
leeshez
Explorer

Tv won't stay connected to wifi keeps connecting and disconnecting.

Hi guys, Every day through out the evening whilst watching TV, It keeps saying TV is not connected to the internet then a couple of minutes later it reconnects. I have checked and it is connected to my network, Also i have reduced my router to 2.4G for the wifi signal. Also the router is about a foot from the Tv.

Thanks Lee.

62 REPLIES 62
profile.country.GB.title
mikwalpe
Explorer

I should have added to make it clear this is a setting on the router and not the TV.

P0ssUm18
New

Thanks heaps this was really helpful!

Woollypig55
Explorer

Only had my new tv three days and can’t get Netflix or prime, as it says not connected to internet, had it installed by Hugh’s so done properly, no problems till now, lot of money for new tv if not doing its job, and it the new Samsung 55 inch 2019 set, as pensioners we don’t understand all the techno terms

profile.country.GB.title
TrekMadone.
Explorer

Hi, I just bought a 65” Bravia and it’s doing the same. I have had my line tested and internet has not disconnected. They even got me to disconnect the socket so they could show me that that was the only break in service. It’s defo the tv, also happens with Ethernet cable connected as well. I have a now tv modem and when the Sony disconnects I can still get the exact same channel on my Samsung tv which is on the same wireless and in a different room. The Bravia is 1m from the modem. I have done a factory reset, switched on off reset modem etc and it’s still happening. When watching catchup tv the screen now goes black. The tv is only a month old!

I was hoping there was I fix but I guess it has to go back but it weighs a ton!

profile.country.GB.title
rodrigo991
Explorer

Yes it really sucks and Sony will do nothing about it besides blame your modem, blame your set up, blame your Internet service provider And never take any responsibility for the technical flaw in their machines. Every other device in my house connects flawlessly except for my Sony Bravia television- it’s super frustrating.

Enviado desde mi iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
TrekMadone.
Explorer

Download the latest software update it addresses a few issues that Sony say they don’t have!

I had the same and fixed it by changing my BB provider. Everything else worked but not the Sony tv, it kept saying disconnected now connected etc and it actually was always connected its just the banner kept coming up. I changed from NowTv after 12 month contract to Plusnet and it’s now ok. This is because Sony tv is not compatible with NowTv router even though it’s a year old! 

Trek

HyTekCat
Explorer

Try changing your 5GHz channel to 149, mixed WiFi mode, 40MHz channel width.  Worked for me.  Always stays connected.  Best wishes.

profile.country.GB.title
TrekMadone.
Explorer

Hi,

thanks for that. I thought you just had to plug an Ethernet cable into the router and it plug and played like it says on the Sony box. Unfortunately not.

apologies for the sarcasm as I appreciate you are trying to help but you know what I mean 

atb

Trek

profile.country.GB.title
Mr.Gooooooooo
Explorer

Hi. I've found that by turning off the you view menus my tv now works without disconnecting from the Internet. 

profile.country.GB.title
samyfam
Explorer

Had exact same problem after latest update - Sony's "what's new" for the update seemed to imply "improved wi-fi performance" was part of the update, but previously I didnt have any problems so no idea what the "improvement" was.

I also (currently) have NowTV broadband so followed the suggestion to disble IPv6 on the LAN side of the router and this has fixed it !

Thanks for the suggestion as it was becoming very annoying !