Join now - be part of our community!

Tv won't stay connected to wifi keeps connecting and disconnecting.

profile.country.GB.title
leeshez
Explorer

Tv won't stay connected to wifi keeps connecting and disconnecting.

Hi guys, Every day through out the evening whilst watching TV, It keeps saying TV is not connected to the internet then a couple of minutes later it reconnects. I have checked and it is connected to my network, Also i have reduced my router to 2.4G for the wifi signal. Also the router is about a foot from the Tv.

Thanks Lee.

62 REPLIES 62
profile.country.GB.title
leeshez
Explorer

Oh i forgot to add that it is Sony KD-X8309C.

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

Check whether Wi-Fi Direct is disabled. It can harm infrastructure Wi-Fi.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Lee,

My suggestion is to avoid using Wi-Fi network connections wherever possible. If you are using the TV apps mainly for internet content playback, the way to go is to use a wired connection. 

Having said that, there might be reasons why you still prefer to use Wi-Fi connections. In that case, please also make sure you read this thead, since Wi-Fi issues are mostly not related to the TV in itself.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

Yes I had the same problem so I gave up on wifi and installed a set of powerline adapters which means I have an ethernet connection. I have been told that the wifi range on this tv is 5 metres. You couldn't make it up could you?

I have had other issues with the 49" version of this tv and at the moment my apple tv 4k is not connected. The apple tv is stuck inside the stand but when I had it running I had 5 bars on wifi using the ac band of my dual band netgear router. My router is upstairs. It never diconnects and when I run a speed test I get 383 MB. Japanese homes must be very small or is it just a question of Sony skimping on the in-built wifi adaptor. Seriously there are severe issues with this tv and I am not convinced that Sony will address them. I wish Sony would offer the tv without android which is awful.

profile.country.GB.title
rodrigo991
Explorer

YES it has everything to do with the tv itself. I have at least 6 other devices in my home that never lose wifi connection, my previous LG tv never lost wifi connection, it's ONLY AND PERSISETENTLY my Sony Bravia tv that has this problem and Sony has no solution whatsoever. Otherwise a great tv this is a terminal flaw.

profile.country.GB.title
jwm007

Since using powerline adaptors I sometimes get the screen message that tv is not connected to the internet then it connects. However this happens only when I turn on the tv. It stays connected. When I  was using wifi the 2.4 and 5 bands would disappear when you went into the network settings yet the tv was showing a full signal on the 2.4 band.

profile.country.GB.title
Mr.Gooooooooo
Explorer

Me too. About every 20 30mins my TV will disconnect then reconnect whith seconds. And I to have had a few more issues with the 55" TV only just 6months old. Top of the range? Are you sure Sony. You certainly change top of the range money for it. And seems to have gone ***** up since last update.

profile.country.GB.title
EasterEEL

Are you using Sky Q hub with Sky broadband and is your TV o/s Android Oreo? If so see these threads as this might be the same issue as well:

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/Sky-Q-Hub-Router-Wifi-Ethernet-disconnects-every-30mins/m-p/2...

https://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-af9-oled-owners-and-discussion-thread.2189806/page-60#post-267...

profile.country.GB.title
mikwalpe
Explorer

I had an issue where my my sony adroid TV would discconect from the internet about every 30 minutes and then would reconnect. Not sure if it tied in with the Oreo update or an update to my NowTV hub as they occuured around the same time.  I have however discovered if I disable IPv6 on the lan side (under LAN TCP/IP Setup options) the problem stops and i now have a stable connection. Don't disable it on your WAN as your ISP may be using it now. Hope this helps someone else. Good luck.