Join now - be part of our community!

Prime 4k content finding & playing

profile.country.GB.title
Prior20

Prime 4k content finding & playing

finding it is now a right PITA, has anyone discovered an easy way to find content

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

No. Amazon seems to be hiding it on purpose.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Spoiler
Still no-one has told me here how to get rid of accidentally invoked spoilers, or even what invokes them in the first place. (I’m on an iPad) 
YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Prior20 wrote:

finding it is now a right PITA, has anyone discovered an easy way to find content

Try going into the Search option and typing 4K, UHD, or one of many similar search terms, some of which may appear there for you there once you have input something related.

You can carry out the same sort of process on Netflix as well.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@royabrown wrote:

@Prior20 wrote:

Try going into the Search option and typing 4K, UHD, or one of many similar search terms, some of which may appear there for you there once you have input something related.

That doesn't work, you won't find any 4K or UHD content on Prime Video that way, the only way is to scroll manually through the list.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

Well, that's a pain then, and it must be to do with the version of Amazon Video on these TVs :worried:

As it works perfectly well on my iPad and my Android phone, as well as on my Amazon FireTV and Firesticks.

Maybe then, downloading the Amazon Video app to your mobile/tablet and using that for such searches, while not the ideal solution, will help for the moment?

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

Just tried the app on my Android phone and again searching for 4K or UHD just gives me the standard results. Very strange. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@stormyuk wrote:

Just tried the app on my Android phone and again searching for 4K or UHD just gives me the standard results. Very strange. 

Yes, very strange indeed. None of the results show the 4K/UHD indicator, even though some of them say they are UHD (e.g. The High Sierra), and all of them could plausibly be available in UHD. Yet none of them seem to attempt to go into UHD.

If I pick something that definitely is UHD, e.g. The Last Tycoon, it says it is UHD, and attempts to show it in UHD.

(Amazon fails in this, though, and drops to HD here, from my Amazon FireTV to my Samsung UE55HU8500, even though I am taking care to use the HDMI/MHL port, which supports the required HDCP 2.2, and I have five times the required 15 Mbps, and WiFi to match. But ho-hum, that is a different issue, and at least it attempts UHD).

I wonder why the Amazon Search is so broken on tablets and smartphones?

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

To me it looks like they are hiding 4K/UHD on purpose. Probably to save bandwidth.

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi Prior20,

Your question has been asked and answered frequently here. You could find good responses by searching the forum.

To answer your question, the Prime Video app executes Internet connection tests at startup. They also test various factors on the quality of your connection in the background such as network access, latency and throughput speed. If the results don't satisfy their minimum requirements for streaming UHD content, the Prime Video app will automatically refrain from suggesting UHD content, as well as defaulting back to HD content in the event you select a native UHD content for playback. This behaviour is not a fault but implemented by design through Amazon.

The suggestion is to upgrade your Internet connection to at least 40 mbps and connect your playback device using a wired connection as oppose to a wireless connection.

Cheers,

Dutchice