Join now - be part of our community!

Playing videos on USB on Android TV

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
DorsetRed
Explorer

Playing videos on USB on Android TV

Hi,

I've recently bought a 49x8305c TV. Very pleased with it and getting my head around most things now. One quick question - what program do most people use for plauing video files on a USB? I download a fair bit of stuff and play it through the TV so want something that's easy to use.

So far I've tried the native Video app, which doesn't seem to have many features, as well as VLC which seems a bit slow and clunky and KODI which seems the best so far. But I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

I used to have an LG TV, in which the USB displayed as an input and you could just browse it and play the videos without a choice of which app, so going to an app first then finding the files (sidenote, why are all usb sticks called the same thing?) is a new process.

Just want to make sure I'm making the most of this!!  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Kodi seems to be the popular choice at the moment.  :thumbsup:

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Kodi seems to be the popular choice at the moment.  :thumbsup:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
DorsetRed
Explorer

That's good then, as long as I'm not missing out on anything!

Frustratingly odd that the TV doesn't see a USB as an input mind you!

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

my KDL43W809C is the worst for USB use i have ever seen including 3 previous Sony tv's.

this needs to improve massively and be stable treat usb as an input too as mentioned

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

For the 1st time ever I have considered ditching Sony for another TV manufacturer.

the USB video use is obviously not the only reason but a contributing factor, maybe the straw that broke the camels back.

profile.country.GB.title
tractor9

I use NAS drives connected to my router and wireless to the TV. I have 2 and have had minimal problems. Those minor problems were the NAS related not the TV. The advantage of using a NAS is that your media content is available to the PC, TV, and BLU RAY player from the same device and any other device capable of being networked including KODI, VLC, Andriod TV BOX etc.

profile.country.GB.title
dabasto98

Couldn’t they just make the video app a lot better. Really simple things Sony!!!!!

Folders

alphabetical order 

Thumbnails or list 

aspect ratio - 16:9, 4:3

resolution -  1920x1980, 1280x720

time length - 1:12:15 or 2h 43m

Thank you so much for sharing!

3 years on and Sony has not improved their TVs.