oLED TV 10 months old and already screen burn plus recently losing HD channels

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

oLED TV 10 months old and already screen burn plus recently losing HD channels

Purchased a XR42A90K in November 2022.

Recently while watching some programmes I am noticing lighter 

horizontal lines on the bottom third of the screen, especially in darker scenes.

On my Mac using Photoshop I created solid colour files from full black in varying degrees of grey to white

and then view them on the TV. Full black is black, then from 95% black going to 50% grey you can see these lighter

lines occupying the bottom third of the screen and also to my astonishment is a darker blurred image of the Channel 4 logo at the top left of the screen (although it doesn't show up in the lighter files).

I do watch CH4 quite a bit but am surprised the logo is now burned into my screen. I do watch other channels

and think I am being mindful of switching over to other content if a certain programme has static info on screen

just to refresh things if for example I am watching BBC Breakfast in the morning. 

I know Sony put down screen burn to 'misuse', but buying a TV and watching it can't really be misuse but 

what is to be expected of somebody making the purchase.

I am wondering if the lighter lines on the bottom third of the screen may have been caused by the use of subtitles.

I haven't attempted a panel refresh yet and was wondering if anyone here has the same TV and performed this, how long it takes and if it was successful.

As the TV is only 10 months old I'm rather disappointed this problem is happening so soon into its life.

On another subject in the past two weeks I have powered up the TV to find that the HD channels have disappeared.

On a retune they return. After tuning the TV (terrestrial Freeview) I edit the Channel list so the HD channels now occupy the numbers 1 to 8, instead of being in the 100's (the SD channels now occupy this section after the edit/ swap). But on two occasions in the past two weeks I have turned the TV on to find that Channels 1- 5 and 8 have disappeared from the guide. What could possibly be causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey daveyh64,

First, check these notes and apply them in your routine:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00173479

Secondly, try the steps to resolve the issue, the longer you wait, the less the chances it'll be resolved.

Panel Calibration:

1. Make sure the TV is in "Demo Mode" settings (How do I turn off or exit Demo mode on my TV?).

2. AC on off (unplug and then plug in the power cord).

3. Reboot will last 10 minutes, and the TV will go back into the menu.

4. Repeat step (2) three times.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure to change the TV to the HOME Mode after troubleshooting. The TV should not remain in Demo Mode unless they are a dealer and want this setting.

-Panel Refresh:

1.Apply Panel Refresh once (do not set the TV in Demo mode for this troubleshooting).

[HOME] > [Settings] > [TV - Picture & Display > [Expert panel settings] > [Panel refresh].

It may take approximately one hour to complete.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As a reference, DO NOT perform it more than once a year, as it may affect the usable life of the panel.

Let me know if any made a difference, also, it would be helpful if you can upload some of these pics.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
graygerman

Hi there

Interesting about the channel issues, im on freesat built into my Sony, i recently edited the channels using the dedicated sony app on the pc only to find channel 4 moved from 104 to 186 on its own,  yet when i reload the edited list into the pc app it shows channel 4 in its correct position, 104,  couple of other channels have done the same too.

So i connected my phone to edit the channels from the mobile app, same issue, Phone app shows the channels in correct order, no editing needed, yet despite this, the TV is not displaying Channel 4 in its right position.

Im very confused by this, im really not sure what the problem is.

As for the Burn, well, sorry to say im not suprised, im afraid thats an OLED issue, the tech is way too new for them to have mastered the problem as yet and you will suffer Burn, especially those that use games consoles, Most manufactures are either offering free screen replacements in warranty or like samsung are offering 10 year warranties, Not sure what Sony have planned but i avoided OLED for this reason, i wouldnt touch one until they master the burn in issue, i play on the PS4 a lot and often pause a movie to go and have a smpke, make a brew etc, so my screen would be goosed within a month ha ha.

I hope you get it sorted, dont know how long a warranty you have but id suggest that yo try the refresh thing soon and if it doesnt sort it id make a claim under warranty to get it sorted.

Good luck.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey daveyh64,

First, check these notes and apply them in your routine:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00173479

Secondly, try the steps to resolve the issue, the longer you wait, the less the chances it'll be resolved.

Panel Calibration:

1. Make sure the TV is in "Demo Mode" settings (How do I turn off or exit Demo mode on my TV?).

2. AC on off (unplug and then plug in the power cord).

3. Reboot will last 10 minutes, and the TV will go back into the menu.

4. Repeat step (2) three times.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure to change the TV to the HOME Mode after troubleshooting. The TV should not remain in Demo Mode unless they are a dealer and want this setting.

-Panel Refresh:

1.Apply Panel Refresh once (do not set the TV in Demo mode for this troubleshooting).

[HOME] > [Settings] > [TV - Picture & Display > [Expert panel settings] > [Panel refresh].

It may take approximately one hour to complete.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As a reference, DO NOT perform it more than once a year, as it may affect the usable life of the panel.

Let me know if any made a difference, also, it would be helpful if you can upload some of these pics.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey daveyh64, I forgot to tell you about the channels issue, try to tune without the aerial once, then restart your TV and then tune with the aerial connected again. 

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey graygerman, when did this issue start? Does it happen with Freesat? Or Freeview? Did you try unplugging the TV from the mains for two minutes and disconnecting any external devices, including the aerial? Also, what's the model number of your TV?

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Hello Hannah,

Thanks for replying to my question.

Have performed the Panel Calibration three times as described.

I am happy to report that any screen burn/ image retention has now disappeared.

Looking at the solid colour images I created the tone on the screen is now consistent

across the screen.

I will hold off doing the Panel Refresh until I think it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks very much.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey daveyh64, I'm delighted it was resolved! Thank you for updating the thread, and don't forget the notes on the first link to avoid it happening again. 🤞🏻