Join now - be part of our community!

KD32W800P1U query

Oksana
Explorer

KD32W800P1U query

I have a new television, that doesn't have a scart port. How would I connect up my old vcr/dvd recorder that has two scart ports, to my new television? I have a cable that connects scart to hdmi, but I have plugged it in to every single hole on the televsion that it fits into, and I can't get it to work. Can anyone advise me, do I need a converter box, or a different cable, and if I pay for new cables, where and how do I connect them? Can anyone advise me? Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

@Oksana 

Without you saying what make and model the VCR/DVD recorder is, your question is more difficult to answer, but let’s assume for the moment it’s like one of these:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/res/manuals/2585/25858171M.pdf

So this has two SCART connectors, and one of them, the upper one on this device, is for passthrough from another device, and the other, the lower one here, connects to SCART In on the TV.

So for you, nothing changes regarding the upper SCART, but the lower one needs to be replaced with a SCART to HDMI converter cable. Which you say you have, but it doesn’t work. Here’s a page-full of them from Amazon:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/scart-hdmi-lead/s?k=scart+to+hdmi+lead

Two things to note; there’s a box, or at the very least an elongated and fat HDMI end, in each cable, for the conversion electronics. Does your cable have this? Second, they need to be powered, either from a mains adaptor, or from a further cable plugged into a USB socket on the TV. Are you powering the ‘lump’ on your cable?

Also note:-

TV aerial connections all as before.

You will probably need to choose the HDMI connection from the Source button on the remote for the new TV, or a menu on the new TV, when you want to watch something from the VCR/DVD. It probably won’t switch to this automatically.

The connection is one-way only. You can watch the output from the VCR/DVD on the TV, but you can no longer record anything off the TV itself. Though obviously, you can still record broadcast TV off the aerial connection into the VCR/DVD.

Anything you still don’t understand or can’t get working, come back and ask again. It would be nice to know the make and model of the VCR/DVD, and of the SCART to HDMI cable, and a photo of the cable would be useful. My guess, though, is that you haven’t been powering it, and doing that will fix things.

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown2
Hero

Accidental duplicate - please ignore,

My favourite bedtime reading is a Sony product manual…