Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

profile.country.GB.title
ajwool

BBC iPlayer 4k support in time for the World cup?

So, will we finally get Bbc iPlayer support in time for the World Cup? Announcement coming imminently:

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bbc-4k-hdr-world-cup-confirmation-week-away

529 REPLIES 529
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

yea i  had a response saying  that i can watch it in HD but seeing as i'd upgraded my tv to a 4k one, which i thought was future proofed so if i wanted to  watch it in hd i would  have stuck with my  kdl2000W !!! Anyway its nt going to happen  and the beed  havesaid thatthey will be showing Wimbledon in 4k  too via iplayer so i have a feeling this thread which i stsarted is going to go   on an  on for a fair  while yet .  btw as youare in the UK too  If you're on vigin and have a v6 you can get it  using the  ilayer sp pon  the  V6   which is what i have been doing. Initially i was getting  loss of sound issues but they have  updated the app  on  there and  having no problems with it now. So just like  the Sony Dolby vision support it looks like we  have to rely  and depend no external players to get   content.

profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

sony dont seem to give a monkeys but at least we all know once they have you're money you aint a priority. 

well watched the england match on my 9305 but i had to use it as a dumb screen and have the pc hooked up to it streaming the bbc streams through vlc. did look nice though but a bloody shambles from sony over not looking beyound 4k30 especially when they demoed hdr on a tweaked set themselves a few years back. 

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

The ps4 Pro is the only way to enjoy these streams. Hlg is horrific and
dark. The Pro has no hlg so the stream is uhd crisp and bright. The lack of
colour with hlg really hurts the experience.
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

nope,  lots of people are  usong a roku + to  get the  iplayer hdr uhd  games. I'm currently using  the  iplayer app on my virgin V6 box for the hdr uhd world cup games initially was having the sound drop out but the iplayer app was updated day before yesterday and now seems to be very stable and the PQ is excellent, bright, no motion blur on my xe9305 pretty impressed shame ive had to use an external device but as I already had a Virgin v6 box happy that I didn't have to fork out more money to buy a Roku.

profile.country.GB.title
Fruitcake3
Explorer

I bought a Roku hd stick in America and have been watching the World Cup on UHD on that.Not sure if I am getting full 4k resolution?but it is what it is.Would of been nice direct through the Sony On iPlayer.

Sent from my iPad
profile.country.GB.title
romipat

@Fruitcake3 wrote:
I bought a Roku hd stick in America and have been watching the World Cup on UHD on that.Not sure if I am getting full 4k resolution?but it is what it is.Would of been nice direct through the Sony On iPlayer.

Sent from my iPad

yup as  most of us  have said it would have  been nice  if we could get it using the bult in iplayer app.  re  youtr comment about it being 4k when you select the game in ipayer it gives you  the options of watching  sd, hd or 4k UHD. im pretty sure it is  4k. it's definetly hdr too as when you go into the  picture  options  it shows  that its in HDR mode.

profile.country.GB.title
stormyuk
Expert

@bemaniac84 wrote:
The ps4 Pro is the only way to enjoy these streams. Hlg is horrific and
dark. The Pro has no hlg so the stream is uhd crisp and bright. The lack of
colour with hlg really hurts the experience.

It takes a bit of setting up as with my default settings for normal TV using Cinema Home or Pro its a judder fest, and really washed out.

I have experimented with all kinds of options to improve the picture, and while its good its probably not optimal with me on the PS4. I actually do use HLG mode (even though its not true HDR) as HLG is supposed to be backwards compatible with SDR anyway, without HLG it is actually brighter, but the overall colour contrast is better with HLG I find (with dark to bright areas).

I find with sports mode, motionflow to smooth or standard (clear is too dark for me but, probably has the best motion handling on the XE. Smooth sometimes has trouble with very fast action at half time motages, break up), film mode HIGH, with anything lower on film mode it becomes too juddery for me which is a shame. I think according to someone over on the AVForums its to do with the PS4 outputting iPlayer at 59.94hz when the broadcast is probably 50hz. So without motionflow and film mode its a real judder fest.

profile.country.GB.title
bemaniac84

Ps4 Pro is bright but roku+ is dull. Guess the 55XD8599 is just pants at
BBC spec hdr although Uncharted 4 looks amazing in hdr. Interested to try
the v6 box I move house soon and will have one to try.
profile.country.GB.title
BigUglyGac

when i was playying through the pc using vlc and on to the tv as a a monitor i still got judering stuck on football mode and its cleared it up well. but in a year or two whenever the bbc ever finish this trial i guess that wont be a option unless the web iplayer is finally updated from early 2000's 720p crapness. 

profile.country.GB.title
ScrattyTV

I guess it depends on what tv you have but I don't find the Roku + dull on my XE93 at all. It really is miles better for me than what I get on the PS4 Pro. I can't fault it to be honest. For info I am running the v6.5603 firmware on my XE93.