Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
anjenki75

I am a bit confused about how people expect Sony to somehow integrate satellite with YouView?

I appreciate it is disappointing and misleading that you can't access standalone catchup players when using satellite, and that is a direct result of Sony's decision to use YouView as a way of providing those apps. They have decided to target the terrestrial TV consumer, and have failed to be clear about the consequences for people who bought the TV for satellite use (although it has never been marketed as a Freesat TV). However, I really don't see how Sony is supposed to implement satellite with YouView - I mean, YouView is a content platform for the terrestrial channels whose UI is developed by a third party. The Freesat guide is only available for Freesat TVs, and it is completely distinct from YouView.

In theory it would be possible to have two separate systems which you select like the HDMI inputs, but it is a usability nightmare and would be very confusing for consumers. Not least - what do you do when the "guide" and "remote" buttons are pressed. They would also have to implement Freesat in order to offer a guide for UK satellite channels (which would also mean you'd lose the non-UK channels). Presumably in other countries the guide data is embedded unencrypted which makes it easier to implement independently, but that's not how it works here. If Sony was targeting satellite users, they would advertise the TV with Freesat.

Now, USB recording on the other hand, personally I think that is a big mistake on Sony's part. I can understand that this is a conundrum for them, i.e. to implement USB recording across Europe in a consistent way. They have to integrate it with their "standard" system for terrestrial, cable and satellite, but also with YouView (which has a very specific set of requirements and may even conflict with how it has to be done for the other modes). Recording from the YouView guide, search etc means implementing the YouView+ set of functions, which probably are more involved (e.g. conflict handling, accurate scheduling, specific type of encryption). But in the end, Sony have marketed this TV as having YouView and USB recording, and so they should resolve this issue even if they have to implement USB recording twice (once for YouView, once for everything else).

anjenki75

A question I have for someone about the YouView implementation: I know that the Discover remote button now integrates with YouView content, but does the global Android search function also search YouView content?

SingingDwarf

@anjenki75

Freesat is completely different from the free-to-view satellite channels, just as Youview is completely different from the free-to-view terrestrial channels. Freesat and Youview are effectively the guides and a method to access past programmes via the appropriate catchup player in the case of Youview. It is perfectly possible (and legal) to access the free-to-view terrestrial and satellite channels without going anywhere near a Youview or Freesat device (TV or box).  No-need to market the TV as a Freesat TV at all.

It would be quite easy for Sony to continue to allow users to watch the satellite channels outside of the Youview app, just as they were accessible prior to the latest firmware update. The Youview guide would only be present when the Guide button is pressed whilst the Digital input is selected, the standard guide would be present when the General Satellite input selected.

anjenki75

@SingingDwarf wrote:

@anjenki75

Freesat is completely different from the free-to-view satellite channels, just as Youview is completely different from the free-to-view terrestrial channels. Freesat and Youview are effectively the guides and a method to access past programmes via the appropriate catchup player in the case of Youview. It is perfectly possible (and legal) to access the free-to-view terrestrial and satellite channels without going anywhere near a Youview or Freesat device (TV or box).  No-need to market the TV as a Freesat TV at all.

It would be quite easy for Sony to continue to allow users to watch the satellite channels outside of the Youview app, just as they were accessible prior to the latest firmware update. The Youview guide would only be present when the Guide button is pressed whilst the Digital input is selected, the standard guide would be present when the General Satellite input selected.

Yes they are distinct, this is what I am saying. But a) people have been questioning why Sony can't provide a guide for the satellite channels (which is because in the UK the guide data is proprietary to Freesat), and b) suggesting that the channels shown in YouView should work via satellite. Those things do not make sense, but it is a shame that the catchup players can't be made available alongside the Android apps without enabling "full YouView".

As I said, Sony technically could make satellite available in parallel like it does with separate inputs, but you have to remember that YouView is much more deeply integrated with Android. I suspect this is rather more difficult than you imagine, and far from "easy". Personally I don't think it is a "reasonable expectation" that both YouView and satellite are available at the same time, just because it was previously the case with plain DVB-T and DVB-S. On the other hand, i do think it is a reasonable expecation that USB recording (which was an advertised feature in a way that satellite was not) should work alongside YouView.

elraouk

It's not Freesat!  They advertised it as having twin sat tuners, which it does.  What would be nice would just to be able to have Youview as one source, satellite as another and switch between them without going through menu options to enable/disable and retuning it.  No reason I can see why this isn't technically possible, given the late announcement of this limitation I can only assume it's down to the licensing. 
SingingDwarf

@anjenki75 Of course it is reasonable to expect Digital TV and satellite inputs to work together.  Take the specs for the KDL-43W805C for example (http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/w850c-w800c-series/specifications) - this is advertised as having DVB-S2 and DVB-T2, no mention of Youview on that page.

As far as I am concerned, I bought a TV which has both a satellite and a terrestrial tuner - so they should both work together.

It is also advertised that an EPG is available - its not unreasonable to expect that it would work for both DVB-S and DVB-T transmissions.

anjenki75

I think YouView inside TVs is a great thing for the UK TV consumer, most of whom get their broadcast TV through and aerial and who now will benefit from a very nice integration of online and broadcast content. Yes it is not perfect, and it is not good enough for me (I won't use it unless it can record 2 channels and watch a third on the same multiplex/recorded show), but for lots of people it should be a very good thing. Other reports around the web seem to indicate that it is better than the Sony guide, and the UI quicker and nicer than most YouView STBs.

Even though there is room for improvement I am prepared to cut Sony some slack on this front, as YouView is a positive step out of the "everybody build their own empire" ways of the past and it is a good product. Sony have to do something that YouView STB manufacters have not had to so far: they have to integrate YouView into a wider interface with overlapping functions (i.e. Android and its app ecosystem, satellite etc). I think they have made some good choices here (having the PSB catchup apps as YouView apps but available separately in the home screen, but leaving Netflix as an Android app) and some poor ones (excluding record functions and disabling the satelite option). Maybe in time they will fix those, maybe they won't. I just hope the debacle of 2015 doesn't lead them to abandon this strategy, because IMO it is the right strategy but the implementation just needs improving (more powerful hardware, fewer bugs, fewer mistakes).

I think it is notable that a lot of complains here are about the edge cases: i.e. people who don't have aerials connected. Presumably everybody else is busy enjoying a nice upgrade to the TV-watching experience with a far better guide and integrated catchup content.

frankie1g

So it has twin tuners but you can't use them at the same time basically 

So how is the promised picture in picture suppose to work then?

mark-bo

@anjenki75

I think the built in satellite tuners are a very important element to the 4K range of TVs on the grounds of future proofing. There are presently 4K test transmissions being transmitted from both the Astra satellites including the one which broadcasts the UK free to air channels. I tuned in to these with the built in receiver prior to the recent update and the pictures were quite stunning, indicating that the built in tuners are capable of receiving these 4K transmissions, unlike my own stand alone satellite receiver.

My point being that, as with HD, 4K programming is likely to be delivered by satellite long before it is generally available terrestrially. Remember BBCHD was only initially available on satellite. The same could happen if the BBC launch a 4K channel possibly for the next Olympics. Therefore I would like the option to be able to use the satellite receiver for the special channels not available terrestrially, just by selecting satellite from the home screen, not tied into youview or anything like that, in exactly the same way I might select any other input and continue to use youview for normal TV supplied by my aerial. Simple.

Unfortunately the youview update has disabled the satellite receiver. Yes I appreciate that there may be technical difficulties for Sony, but surely these things should have been ironed out before these tvs were marketed, Had they been so then I'm sure Sony could have more accurately advertised what these TVs were capable of and what they were not. Thereby helping us to decide whether or not they suited our needs. Finding out 2 months after purchase is not really good enough.

rik_10
Explorer

Yes, I also can't believe that they have dissabled the satellte function if youview is enabled.  I really can't understand why....?
Additionaly the youview update does not seem to work on my set. I can browse the youview guide but it won;t actually tune into program when I select it in the guide...  I'm sure performing several factiory resets could probably sort this out but I'm losing patience with it.

Needless to say I have had enough and am going to return my set.

Does anyone any recommendations for a 4k smart TV with Satellite tuners, CI+ interface and HDD recording that actually provides the functionallity?