Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
malcolm1962

@fxfxfxfxfx wrote:

I only use a satellite connection as tv aerial signal is not good here. I can use YouView, it just doesn't show the live TV.

What I am totally miffed about is that I've lost all my satellite channels and the option to perform a "Satellite Set-up" is now greyed out?! Have they REMOVED this function?

I'll be taking this TV back tomorrow if this is the 

@fxfxfxfxfx wrote:

I only use a satellite connection as tv aerial signal is not good here. I can use YouView, it just doesn't show the live TV.

What I am totally miffed about is that I've lost all my satellite channels and the option to perform a "Satellite Set-up" is now greyed out?! Have they REMOVED this function?

I'll be taking this TV back tomorrow if this is the case. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes. I've just run the update and noticed the YouView T&c's state that satellite services will be disabled. I declined to accept this and neither YouView or any of the new on demand apps will work. This is a joke surely? I think its finally time to take the TV back as not being as advertised under the SOGA. No doubt I'll have some fun trying to convince Currys to give me a refund.

danielbeyzade

Please see my post earlier in the day. The comunity is getting together to complain to Sony about this. Please PM to get my private email address and then copy me to the email you send to the Sony CEO office using the template supplied

Thanks

Daniel

fxfxfxfxfx

Thanks Daniel, I've PM'd my email address. I didn't trawl through the earlier posts, literally couldn't believe this was the case and blindly ranted about it :wink:

elraouk

If you disable Youview then does Sattelite work?  Am amazed it's one or the other. Can (just about) understand not being able to record Youview, but not why you can't switch between the sat and aerial. 
fxfxfxfxfx

I ran the 1-2-3 Setup guide and was able to tune to satellite again...

YouView appeared to still work however as I'd previously configured it, athough it would not show Live TV and kept prompting me that my aerial needed to be plugged in. Also, whenever I press Guide in the Preferred Satellite input, it takes me to YouView. Why would it do this!? 

I wouldn't actually care that much as all YouView seems to do it provide a guide that goes back several days allowing me to pick a show to "catch up" on, and then simply opens the relevant TV Channel App - it's just a quick, convenient way of selecting the show rather than searching in the Channel's App. I might be wrong, but that's all it seemed to do for me. 

So, ideally, I want to disable the YouView "guide", but be able to use iPlayer, ITV and 4oD, however only iPlayer still works with YouView disabled. The other two ask you to enable YouView to use them. Why does it need this? It doesn't need this! The Apps can work quite happily on their own Sony!

I really want this TV to work, but it seems to be a complete disaster. The software is just absolutely shocking it's incredible they're able to bring it to market stating all the services it offers. 

I also still have an ongoing issue where the TV Guide on a Satellite input shows No Event Information for everything other than the channel I'm tuned to. This is such simple, basic stuff. I don't think I can keep making excuses to my family as to why we bought this TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

To disable YouView, do the following

1. Goto "Settings" > "Channel Setup" and then "YouView setup"
  2. Click on "Disable YouView"

Once you have disabled it you will be able to use the original Guide with Satellite Channels.

You will be able to use iPlayer and 5OD as these were separate apps on the TV.  However, ITV player and Demand4 will NOT work, as these are YouView apps.

In regards to all satellite 'Freesat' stuff I am going to ask Sony to create a FAQ - im not too good at explajning things sometimes and it is a frequent question.

Cheers

sassbs
Explorer

While I get that Sony are saying YouView and Satellite won’t work together I never saw this exception when I purchased the TV or in any of the manuals/documents that came with the TV. In fact Sony’s advertising implied that it would work so Sony have mislead customers for to sell the TV which is FRAUD. Guess it’s back to the customer support rep at Sony to complain yet again. Sony really need to admit defeat and recall these TV’s now as they don’t match the advertising. Sent from Mail for Windows 10
danielbeyzade

Sony should have published how all of this was going to work before the product was launched. Now is to late. 

danielbeyzade

@sassbs PM me me for details to join our complaint to Sony. See my post earlier in the day for more information

Amo1972
Explorer

Thanks for the advice mate. I think you are right. I am going to take thie TV back tomorrow.

Had another minor issue which required a power cycle via the remote, this is just a joke.

I never had this many issues with a TV in my life.

Good Luck!