Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NicolaiLarsen91 wrote:

Did people find a fix/workaround for the "Scene: Full" popup in 3D?

Last update received is:

23-10-2015 - Confirmed that this can be replicated in testing. Passed to Sony Japan engineers to resolve.

haribo411
Explorer

@Shalendran thanks for the heads up, works perfectly. Much better than the Video app.

MrLizard

That observation is backed up by theory.

Ethernet will always be a more stable connection than Wi-Fi for any real time application. There's a greatly reduced likelihood of interference causing packet loss and jitter, and there's no need to encrypt at the transport layer, which greatly reduces latency (as well as jitter to a lesser extent).

Given that 4K video only needs 25 Mbps, and that these TVs aren't exactly going to be downloading huge amounts of data, I'd happily take a 100Mbps ethernet connection over 500Mbps wi-fi.  I agree that it's a bit odd to be shipping anything with less than 1GbE these days, however.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrLizard wrote:

I agree that it's a bit odd to be shipping anything with less that 1GbE these days, however.

I said that to Sony 3 years ago....  At the time it was cost vs benefits.  Hopefully this position changes soon.

wills_b

Absolutely that's my findings - latency and connection just much better wired.

its not just Sony, loads of stuff still stuck with 100mbps. Shocking really when gigabit can't cost any more than pennies extra.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@Quinnicus wrote:

@NicolaiLarsen91 wrote:

Did people find a fix/workaround for the "Scene: Full" popup in 3D?

Last update received is:

23-10-2015 - Confirmed that this can be replicated in testing. Passed to Sony Japan engineers to resolve.

I hope the resolution covers the random "scene full" pop up every minute or so when watching Sky + in SD via HDMI. It has started again, but can be stopped for a while with the power reset. It does not just affect 3D. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
cswalmsley
Explorer

Idiot Alert!

following on from yesterday, and having all day at work to think about options I've not looked at. I decided to take the soundbar off the wall, and look at its ports (in and out)

only to see that the ARC port was in fact on HDMI out from the soundbar. 

Plugged it in and it worked straight away! 

Happy days

cannot believe I didn't notice this before hand

drnicko79
New

I'm having the same trouble only mine isn't in 3D mode but still pops up saying full screen it's doing my head in too I've had to take my 49" Sony android 4K tv back as it was forever playing up you would change channel and it would be a blank screen and then go back to original Chanel and be a blank screen again so cirrus would give me a refund as it was over 14 days. Ive had it 3 weeks they say that's Sony policy so I exchanged it for the bigger one and added the difference I'm still having problems with this one Sony get your act together next time before releasing your new TVs check there working correctly 

pdutton
Explorer

55 inches of technological disappointment 

I'm on on the verge of taking back my kd55x8509c never been overly happy since day 1, but thought would see how it's goes, unfortunately now I've had it over 30 days

intermittently loses wired network connection 

cant get rid of sub titles every time I change channels they reappear 

when I select the guide it pops on the screen disappears then comes back again

sometimes slow to respond or doesn't respond at all

have to pull the hdmi cable so I can use my projector off the second output of my amp

since the update I get coloured bars at the bottom of the guide, red / green don't work, yellow / blue work

i live in Ireland and can receive UK and ROI channels but have to tune to either an Irish broadcast or UK broadcast for the guide to populate for the region, the was the case on my older Sony kdl46x3500, my newer 50 inch Sony works without an issue so this is a step backwards

Sound quality could be better

Cant reorder channels without losing the order

All I want is a 4K TV that I can watch - picture quality is great but let down by all the niggles.

shtira

Absolutely the same filling with me.  The most disappointing purchase for the last 2 decades.

kd55x8507c.     I live in Bulgaria.

However, I can not dream of taking it back.

Below are some differences though:

- does not lose internet - I use WiFi as my router has better speed via WiFi

- on the opposite, I have to switch ON the sub titles all the time - at every channel change, they disappear. Despite that in the settings I have configured the sub-title language by default. Even when GUIDE button is pressed and back, sub titles are lost again .... (do you wonna swap TVs :wink:

- the same with the stupid GUIDE button. 3-5 sec. when pressed and 3-5 sec. back - are lost from my lifetime ....

- the same. Slow and randomly doesn't respond to all or part of the buttons on the touchpad.

- no color bars

- sound level is low. I have HDMI connection to Maranz receiver. The level from TV input is way below the other inputs.

- also agree - the picture is excellent, spoiled by dud programmers.

- AND of COURSE the GREAT LIE ..... "your TV can record on external HDD"..... 

@pdutton wrote:

55 inches of technological disappointment 

I'm on on the verge of taking back my kd55x8509c never been overly happy since day 1, but thought would see how it's goes, unfortunately now I've had it over 30 days

intermittently loses wired network connection 

cant get rid of sub titles every time I change channels they reappear 

when I select the guide it pops on the screen disappears then comes back again

sometimes slow to respond or doesn't respond at all

have to pull the hdmi cable so I can use my projector off the second output of my amp

since the update I get coloured bars at the bottom of the guide, red / green don't work, yellow / blue work

i live in Ireland and can receive UK and ROI channels but have to tune to either an Irish broadcast or UK broadcast for the guide to populate for the region, the was the case on my older Sony kdl46x3500, my newer 50 inch Sony works without an issue so this is a step backwards

Sound quality could be better

Cant reorder channels without losing the order

All I want is a 4K TV that I can watch - picture quality is great but let down by all the niggles.