Join now - be part of our community!

Wake camera up with AF button.

profile.country.GB.title
Jerrin1
Explorer

Wake camera up with AF button.

Hi everyone, this is my first post as I have only owned my Sony A7III for five days. I swapped my Nikkon D5oo and Olympus EM1 mark II sytems for an A7III, 100 - 400mm, 90mm macro and 28 - 70mm. I have spent two 6 hour days out in the countyrside with my A7III and my impression is that it is a fantastic camera for wildlife. Having owned an Olympus EM1 mark II, I am used to pressing the designated BBF button to wake the camera up from sleep mode. I cannot find out how to achieve this on the A7III. Have I missed something in the custom button menu; or is it not possible to use the AF on button to wake the camera up?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @Jerrin1, welcome to the Community.

The usual way of waking the camera is to slightly depress the shutter release button. Is this not working for you?

As far as I know, that's the only way to bring it back to life, apart from switching off then on again.

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Jerrin1
Explorer

@Mick_D wrote:

Hi @Jerrin1, welcome to the Community.

The usual way of waking the camera is to slightly depress the shutter release button. Is this not working for you?

As far as I know, that's the only way to bring it back to life, apart from switching off then on again.

Mick

Yes Mick, it works fine: but I am used to waking the camera up with a single button press and not having to press the shutter release halfway and then using the BBF. From other enquiries, it would appear that the A7III can only be woken up via the shutter release. A pity - but I will get used to it.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Jerrin1,

well, I don't possess an A7III but I'd say that it doesn't matter whether you're pressing the button half way or completely. At least on my α6500 it doesn't mean a difference. Well, pressing it and keeping it down leads to unwanted images. But in order to do so I need to keep the button pressed for longer than a second or so.

My advice: Just press the button in order to wake up the camera and don't care about "half way". Simply try it yourself...

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
Jerrin1
Explorer

Darkframe. Thank you for your reply. I don't believe I was clear enough when I posted my query, though. I know how to wake the camera up by pressing the shutter button: what I wanted to do (I use the past tense as it does not appear possible) was to wake my camera up by customising the 'AF on button' to wake the camera up as well as focus the camera - just as I was able to do so on my Olympus EM1 mark II.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @Jerrin1,

might have been my fault as well. Finally English is not my native language...

Anyhow, now I see what you're looking for but as I do not possess an A7 I won't be of any help, sorry. Whatsoever, my α6500 starts auto-focussing right after being woken up by means of the shutter button. Seems to be different on the A7.

Maybe somebody else has got any idea?

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
Gerard371
New

Hi, I have the A7 Mk2. 

To wake my camera up and be able to shoot, I press the photo review button twice. Press once to see the last pic taken, once that appears press the button again. 

I use back button focusing and found it annoying to press the shutter halfway, some times I would take an out of focus pic.

I've just got this camera and Coming  from a nikon I find the lack of click on the sony shutter button strange. But I'll get used to it.