Join now - be part of our community!

5 IV compass issue, 90-120 degrees off and won't calibrate beyond low in Google maps

SOLVED
profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

5 IV compass issue, 90-120 degrees off and won't calibrate beyond low in Google maps

Hi!

Just a quick checkup if I can get a confirmation that this is an hardware issue with the design of the 5 IV compass since my new fully updated and factory restored 5 IV can't get a proper compass reading (often 90-120 degrees off). Compass calibration within Google maps still shows low regardless of attempts being made.

This is at a place where both an iPhone 14 and a Galaxy S23 works perfect with the compass.

/Per

23 REPLIES 23
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Have you actually tried contacting Sony Support about this?

If you've already tried a full reset and aren't prepared to try a software repair then your only option is to contact Support who would probably ask you to attempt either or both of the aforementioned anyway.

You can't force other Xpeira 5 IV compass users to post in your thread here so contacting Support is your best option 😉.

profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

Yes since a few hours ago I have a case open with the Sony support which I initially didn't find my way to. In Sweden they sometimes just try to take it back to the store where they send it to a service center which probably won't find any fault and then charges you. This is I why I really hoped for someone kind enough to confirm or deny this issue since a quick googling reveals other with the same issue. I'm not forcing anyone 😀

Regarding the software repair, I'll deal with if needed to. Not very fond of that as a starting point though. 

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Let us know what Support says :slight_smile: 

profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

Ok, Sony Support finally wanted me to perform a software repair - which I did eventually - and the fault remained after that. Kind of expected that.

On the positive side is that I (finally) got a confirmation from another 5 IV user in Sweden which had the same experience with his compass and he hoped for every new f/w update that the compass would get fixed...
(Don't think that will happen)

I can see now that my suspicions regarding this case were right from the beginning and after being involved in similar support for many years with different products only (B2B) I know that admitting a fault is not going happen.

Especially now with the stronger consumer laws where the manufacturer must prove the fault wasn't there to start with for quite a long period nowadays.

Let's hope something good can come from this :wink:

Piscie
Community Team

Hey @Pernas, hopefully the software repair will fix this. Let us know how it goes.

profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

The software repair didn't fix it and Sony support couldn't really help me with anything further.

They admitted to not have contacted their internal back-support prior to giving me the advice of a full device reset and subsequent software repair.

Anyway, todays contact with the dealer revealed that they could have helped me sending the device to their service center and also offered to pay for the first investigation in case they didn't find any fault.

However, being within the 14 day return-window so to speak I decided to return the device as I didn't want to risk a never-ending service loop regarding something which can't be fixed in reality. Especially since I got confirmation from other users of the same device that the compass isn't good. End of story.

Just as a note, the compass in an old Galaxy S5 worked perfect even today compared to the badly behaving 5 IV...

End of story...

profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

After my somehow unwanted return of the 5 IV I also tried a 1 IV and that compass works like a charm :slight_smile: so I had to purchase a 1 IV from another source. Bare in mind that I've also tried other 5 IV's but they worked as bad as mine...

Anyway, with that said it's a shame that apparently known faults has to be kept secret this way instead of being rewarded...

End of story (pt.2)

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey Pernas, thank you for the feedback, in my opinion, all users should report the fault to Sony and require an investigation, as from what you said it doesn't seem to be an issue with a specific device, but a model line. 

I'll also report this to Sony directly. 

Thanks again. 

profile.country.DE.title
Aquarius
Explorer

Same problem here: the built-in magnetometer ak0991x from manufacturer AKM can not be calibrated at all!

I see only three options before we should use legal means:

1) SONY promptly publishes a software fix

2) SONY reimburses an appropriate percentage of the purchase price

3) SONY offers a free exchange to the new Xperia 5 V (which would also solve the ridiculous overheating problems of the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 processor!)

If someone asks me today what smartphone I am using I can only answer: It's a very handy phone BUT I can not recommend it to you because... (listing all the epic fails of the Xperia 5 IV and it's price tag)!!!

profile.country.SE.title
Pernas

Interesting, any idea which magnetometer they picked for the 1 IV since it works so much better?