Join now - be part of our community!

Iplayer KDL-42W705B "internet download failed'

profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

Iplayer KDL-42W705B "internet download failed'

I bought this TV in May 2015, it  has a manufacture date of 03/2015

For sometime now we have had problems with  Iplayer, (which we use a lot and is really the reason we bought this tv) slowly it has got worse and now when accessing  gets the no memory message. We have fast cable broadband from Virgin and have tried all the advice from Sony, wired connection, factory reset, unplugging, refresh internet along with check software version v3.006. Try hot spot connection and wired HDMI connection (Which work.).   

The BBC tell me.

"We're investigating this with Sony and we really appreciate your patience."
We're aware that some people are seeing an 'Internet download failed because content size exceeds system memory limit' error message when they try to use the BBC iPlayer app on their Sony TV.  "In the meantime, check the Sony devices certified for BBC iPlayer page to check that the BBC iPlayer app is supported on your model."

It is listed as supported.

Meanwhile  Sony tell me....Thank you for contacting Sony support.
With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony KDL-42W705B, please note that this is being investigated by BBC and this is a third party application Sony is not responsible for.
If you are looking for workarounds please find the link below:  Unplug and wait..etc.

The television is fine apart from this issue but this issue becomes extremely frustrating and in all honestly it is not what I expect from Sony, the BBC or John lewis.
 Why is it OK for a tv to become obsolete in 5 years?
Why do the BBC say they are working with Sony? They must know the cause and equally if it can be corrected?
Were Sony aware of this future issue when the tv was sold?
Are John Lewis content for TVs to be sold by Sony that are unfit for purpose?
So why buy a smart TV from Sony?
Not a happy Sony fan....
21 REPLIES 21
profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

Thank you for your reply. The annoying thing is that this problem first occurred 2 years ago, on a tv that was not old Sony and BBC claimed to be working together to fix it. We were told to be patient. We have been played by Sony. Never again.

profile.country.GB.title
lycraofthelane

Thank you for your answer. I think I may as weak put my money towards a new tv. I can only say I have no faith in Sony anymore. Why say "be patient we are working on a problem" and then more than a year later abandon you?